• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hitec Servos Burning or seizing on new Futaba setup.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Hey guys: I just burnt up my 3rd Hitec servo on the new Futaba RX's in two different airplanes. I have made sure that the Futaba receivers were not set to 'High Speed' mode, and there was no indication of buzzing or jittering suggesting they were in this HS mode and end points were set so no binding was occurring. I took a reading to see where my voltage is at and found it was set to 6.09v.

One servo was a HS-5245 and the other two were 65-hb's -- all on different surfaces: 5245 was a rudder servo (stopped working on the bench), the other two were hb's on my foamies ele and rudd and these stopped working in flight. The elevator servo had a visible melting spot on the bottom of the case and the aileron servo had no burn mark but does not even jump when plugged in.

I do have the radio set up for max servo travel for best resolution (I believe '140') and have limits set to stop any binding of the surfaces. Could setting up the max travel be the problem? Nothing else on the power side has changed from when used with the Spek stuff.

hone

150cc
Make sure max servo travel on your TX doesn't try to make the servo move further than it can. Start at 100 and increase it until the servo stops moving than back it off a percent or two. I had this problem with some 65MGs and my EPA was more than the servo would move. I was burning up the amplifiers.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Interesting... I will look into this. I do have the radio set for maximum end points. Would this matter even if the servo isn't moving to its fullest end point? I do have limits set to decrease full extension of the surface (to limit control surface binding). In theory the servo shouldn't be traveling to this max EPA if I've limited it right?

Any ideas as to why its taking 10 flights to start having these issues?