• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

HK Slick 540 30cc

Hoverin

30cc
Hey all, thought I'd throw this out there for opinions a bit more experienced than mine. After the demise of my 1/4 GP Patty I started straight away to look for my next 30ccer. I wasn't really expecting much filtering through the HK website as I'd seen most of what they have to offer. That was until I came across this hot little number... I think it was originally a Aerobeez airframe???

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__52738__Slick_540_3D_Aerobat_Balsa_30CC_1930mm_ARF_AU_Warehouse_.html

I was originally going to swap all the gear over from the wreck to this one but once it arrived I knew I had to go gas. Anything else would have been just wrong... It wasn't long and I had a brand new DLE 30, optokill, Xoar prop, drill jig etc on the way from a guy in the eastern states.

Anyway with the box open I was immediately impressed, excellent finish, not a bit of covering out of place. Good tough hardware, packets and packets of screws, lock nuts etc...
IMG_2045.jpg
Love the Slick rudder...
IMG_2046.jpg
Ummmm.....
IMG_2048.jpg
Nice finish and bracing where it's needed...
IMG_2050.jpg
I ended up CF bracing this rudder tray, looked a little light to me....
IMG_2051.jpg
All holes pre-cut...
IMG_2053.jpg
IMG_2054.jpg
Also love the Slick side profile, knife edge king...
IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2056.jpg

Hoverin

30cc
I usually start on a wing so this one is no different..
IMG_2148.jpgIMG_2147.jpg

Sealed the hinge line with some spare covering. I went with the fibre hinges for a quicker build...
I did need to knock up 4 more horns so I could double up on all surfaces, not sure what the go was there. Even the website only shows 4 all up....
IMG_2258.jpg

I'll shorten this log as everyone has seen a thousand ARF builds. I mounted all the other surfaces and did a quick put together for a look over....
IMG_2262.jpgIMG_2263.jpg

Good quality tiller type tailwheel...
IMG_2264.jpg

Damn good size ailerons:grrreat:
IMG_2265.jpg

Got the pull pull happening...
IMG_2279.jpg

Noticed that the last former would be binding on the cable so did some makeshift grinding. Not happy with taking wood away here but with all the bracing and doubling up in this area it doesn't worry me...
IMG_2282.jpgIMG_2283.jpg

To replace the ally tubes I used an old Trex 450 CF tail boom for the elevator tube and have a 20mm CF tube for the wing on the way, saves 80 odd grams and strengthens things a little...I have all the servos in now so it's onto the engine.....

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
You pretty much just dont want them to touch. I would figure out the spinner gap first and then do whatever you need to on the carb side. If you have to you can cut the firewall to accomodate the carb. I doubt you will need to though.

Hoverin

30cc
I have a gap there, 10mm to be exact. I read in a lot of threads about making sure the carb has room to get air and watchout for swirling etc, just wanted to check. I have too larger gap for a spinner with the standoffs supplied with the DLE (can kind of see it in first pic) and can't be bothered messing with it at the moment so I'll run with no spinner for now.

My first ever attempt at cowl cutting...

IMG_2293.jpgIMG_2295.jpg

gyro

GSN Contributor
I have a gap there, 10mm to be exact. I read in a lot of threads about making sure the carb has room to get air and watchout for swirling etc, just wanted to check. I have too larger gap for a spinner with the standoffs supplied with the DLE (can kind of see it in first pic) and can't be bothered messing with it at the moment so I'll run with no spinner for now.

My first ever attempt at cowl cutting...

View attachment 23298View attachment 23299

Looks like you did a good job

Hoverin

30cc
Managed a bit more today, motor is mounted as above but used the washers elsewhere so I'm scratching around to replace them and maybe go slightly bigger to take up some ply.
IMG_2300.jpgIMG_2301.jpg

Hooked up the choke, just went with the easy cable tie jobby that seems to be very popular, stays away from the metal/metal contact that's a big NO-NO too.
IMG_2297.jpg

Got the tank internals plumbed up and tank mounted, just need a "T" connector and then I can plumb up the whole system. Fuel dot is in place, I was looking around the fuzz during another job and thought that lightening hole looks roughly the right size for the dot and next thing it was in there....
IMG_2298.jpgIMG_2299.jpg