• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Hobbyking Slick 360 3D

3DMad5

50cc
Does anybody have experience or know anything about this plane?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20134__Hobbyking_Slick_360_3D_Blue_1300mm_ARF_.html

slick-360-blue---main.jpg

It looks to be pretty well built, fantastic price, flight videos look great. I tried to get info on RCGroups, but of course it was just people giving out about how they think it's a "complete ripoff" of 3DHS's AJ Slick.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Does anybody have experience or know anything about this plane?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20134__Hobbyking_Slick_360_3D_Blue_1300mm_ARF_.html

View attachment 22763

It looks to be pretty well built, fantastic price, flight videos look great. I tried to get info on RCGroups, but of course it was just people giving out about how they think it's a "complete ripoff" of 3DHS's AJ Slick.

As a matter of fact, I do. I personally built one to compare it to the real deal from 3dhs.

Here is what I said in my post early on in that thread on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21099985&postcount=1362

"Slick 3D maiden complete. I'm being 100% honest and objective with my opinions here:
Power/Battery Life - AWESOME: My 2820-800 swinging a 14x7 was PERFECT! The plane leapt off the ground at half power, and had no problem accelerating any time during the flight. Amp draw was 52a at max. After a 6 minute flight of mixed throttle usage, my 4s 2650mah packs averaged 14.9 volts.
Flight Performance - AVERAGE overall:
Negative first: A little more wing rock than the "premium" 3d airplanes during low speed harrier. Also, when a lot of up elevator is applied, the left wing falls out quickly compared to my other planes. So for sport flying, elevator travel needs to be minimal. Pop-Tops were unsatisfying, with only 1-2 revolutions at the top, compared to 5-6 from my Extreme Flight aircraft.
Positive: elevators from altitude were crisp, with hardly any wing rock at all! Also, straight lines were nice and precise. Once I got the mixes in correctly (she needed both rudder to elevator, and rudder to aileron) Knife Edge flying was pretty precise, however it took an entire flight to get the mix correct. Once set up, I needed a "fair" amount of rudder, and carried plenty of speed. I'll try flying a little slower next time. Knife Edge spins were nice and tight, and not too hard to enter. Both left rudder and left aileron were required to maintain the spin.
Landings - This plane is VERY floaty. My first flew attempts to land saw the plane floating way long down the runway in ground effect. My radio has a flaperon mix that I took advantage of, and found the optimal deflection at 40% flaps. Once I was able to get some extra drag on the plane, she slowed down very nicely for landing. I didn't try any harrier landings because she was a little too unstable for my skill level.
Alibis - I didn't have hinge tape on, as I forgot it. Winds were dead calm, outside air temp was about 55 degrees. Rudder servo didn't center very well, but I don't think that affected any of my testing.
So, based off my 3 flights today, I think the plane is worth the $105 price. I don't think it's in the same category as the Extreme Flight or 3D HobbyShop planes I have/had. They seem to be better all around, with very few negative characteristics. I think this airplane has a place in the market, and is a quality product, however I don't think it is as "polished" as an aircraft from the renown 3d manufacturers. If this airplane enables some to transition to 3d based on its low entrance cost, then that is great for the hobby in general. In the end, I'm not pissed about my expenses on this plane, and I was very pleasantly surprised how well the SunnySky 2820-800 performed. However I don't think it'll get much flight time from me, as I've got two EF 48" EXP airplanes that just plain fly much better (or mask my poor skills better ). Maybe I can keep this one in the car for impromptu flying or something."

Let me know what your questions are?

3DMad5

50cc
As a matter of fact, I do. I personally built one to compare it to the real deal from 3dhs.

Here is what I said in my post early on in that thread on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1362

"Slick 3D maiden complete. I'm being 100% honest and objective with my opinions here:
Power/Battery Life - AWESOME: My 2820-800 swinging a 14x7 was PERFECT! The plane leapt off the ground at half power, and had no problem accelerating any time during the flight. Amp draw was 52a at max. After a 6 minute flight of mixed throttle usage, my 4s 2650mah packs averaged 14.9 volts.
Flight Performance - AVERAGE overall:
Negative first: A little more wing rock than the "premium" 3d airplanes during low speed harrier. Also, when a lot of up elevator is applied, the left wing falls out quickly compared to my other planes. So for sport flying, elevator travel needs to be minimal. Pop-Tops were unsatisfying, with only 1-2 revolutions at the top, compared to 5-6 from my Extreme Flight aircraft.
Positive: elevators from altitude were crisp, with hardly any wing rock at all! Also, straight lines were nice and precise. Once I got the mixes in correctly (she needed both rudder to elevator, and rudder to aileron) Knife Edge flying was pretty precise, however it took an entire flight to get the mix correct. Once set up, I needed a "fair" amount of rudder, and carried plenty of speed. I'll try flying a little slower next time. Knife Edge spins were nice and tight, and not too hard to enter. Both left rudder and left aileron were required to maintain the spin.
Landings - This plane is VERY floaty. My first flew attempts to land saw the plane floating way long down the runway in ground effect. My radio has a flaperon mix that I took advantage of, and found the optimal deflection at 40% flaps. Once I was able to get some extra drag on the plane, she slowed down very nicely for landing. I didn't try any harrier landings because she was a little too unstable for my skill level.
Alibis - I didn't have hinge tape on, as I forgot it. Winds were dead calm, outside air temp was about 55 degrees. Rudder servo didn't center very well, but I don't think that affected any of my testing.
So, based off my 3 flights today, I think the plane is worth the $105 price. I don't think it's in the same category as the Extreme Flight or 3D HobbyShop planes I have/had. They seem to be better all around, with very few negative characteristics. I think this airplane has a place in the market, and is a quality product, however I don't think it is as "polished" as an aircraft from the renown 3d manufacturers. If this airplane enables some to transition to 3d based on its low entrance cost, then that is great for the hobby in general. In the end, I'm not pissed about my expenses on this plane, and I was very pleasantly surprised how well the SunnySky 2820-800 performed. However I don't think it'll get much flight time from me, as I've got two EF 48" EXP airplanes that just plain fly much better (or mask my poor skills better ). Maybe I can keep this one in the car for impromptu flying or something."

Let me know what your questions are?

Thanks for the details. I am still getting into 3D flying, balsa planes in particular. I haven't flown many, so honestly I'm not too fussed about the last small percentage performance benefit of the "real deal" aircraft, however knowing that the ability is there is reassuring. I'm looking for something to learn/practice new moves on that I won't be too intimidated to fly down low (and when getting into 3D, confidence seems to be directly related to cost :p), but on the other hand won't fly too low and crash into the ground every time I try something new (which is exactly what happens with my Telink Extra 330. The EPP just has too low a penalty for crashing...). It sounds like you've done a thorough analysis of the plane, so on a scale of 1-10, 10 being an EF or 3DHS plane, and 1 basically being a mushy paper bag, what score would you give this plane? Numbers are good when you're just learning :)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Flying wise, a 7
Quality wise, a 6
Support wise, a 0

If it's the best chance you have a moving up in size, go for it. It's definitely not the worse plane I've ever flown...

And even 3dhs and EF have imperfect quality control, so never assume what arrives will be perfect.

3DMad5

50cc
Thanks for your help. One last question, what servos did you end up using? HobbyKing recommends 12g ones, but those are almost too small for a 48" plane on 4S, let alone this 51" one. Also, 3DHS recommends HS-85MGs (21g each) for their similarly sized Slick.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks for your help. One last question, what servos did you end up using? HobbyKing recommends 12g ones, but those are almost too small for a 48" plane on 4S, let alone this 51" one. Also, 3DHS recommends HS-85MGs (21g each) for their similarly sized Slick.

I believe i used Savox SH-0255MG, which have more than enough torque for this plane

njswede

150cc
Read to the end! There's a "but"... I had one and I enjoyed it. The build quality was good and the hardware was ok. It flies great (KE-spins are awesome) in most situations excep one, and this is the deal breaker, in my opinion: it has a nasty wing rock in harriers and wing drop tendency. And if you want a 3d trainer to help you gain confidence, you don't want that. My advice is to save up another 100 bucks or so and go with a 51" aj slick instead. That's what you're going to want to so eventually anyway, so you're actually end up saving money.

Last edited by a moderator:

3DMad5

50cc
Read to the end! There's a "but"... I had one and I enjoyed it. The build quality was good and the hardware was ok. It flies great (KE-spins are awesome) in most situations excep one, and this is the deal breaker, in my opinion: it has a nasty wing rock in harriers and wing drop tendency. And if you want a 3d trainer to help you gain confidence, you don't want that. My advice is to save up another 100 bucks or so and go with a 51" aj slick instead. That's what you're going to want to so eventually anyway, so you're actually end up saving money.

I would only buy 3DHS if I lived in the States. It would probably end up costing me nearer $200-250 extra, and for that I could get another entire plane! Wouldn't some SFGs reduce the wing rock problem?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I would only buy 3DHS if I lived in the States. It would probably end up costing me nearer $200-250 extra, and for that I could get another entire plane! Wouldn't some SFGs reduce the wing rock problem?

One of the guys tried that. Read the whole thread.