• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Horizon Hobby Event Coverage - Horizon AeroTow 2015

July cover is done - WHEW! BTW, the Hangar 9 ASW 20 is an outstanding aerotow machine. I have at least three hours on mine now and I don't have one complaint. I do wish the retract was high-voltage like the servos I used, but that is my only find on this sailplane.

Attachments

• SF20-03-001.jpg
    SF20-03-001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 439

JimD

50cc
where was this event held and what were the dates?

Event was held in Monticello, Illinois at the Piatt County Airport which is the home of the full-scale Illini Glider Club. Date was June 18-21, 2015.

The Horizon Hobby Team provided the tow planes (mainly the Hangar 9 Piper Pawnee) and pilots. There were some passing rain showers that halted the action, but it was non stop flying the rest of the time!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here is a picture of LenB with his giant scale Arcus:

image.jpg

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
that looks like it was a lot of fun!

Giant Scale RC comes in many flavors, gotta try them all!

JimD

50cc
The next big Aerotow event here on the eastern side of the USA will be at my home field.

Cumberland Summer Soaring ~ July 16-20, 2015

HighPoint Aviation Airfield ~ located atop Knobley Mountain 3 miles south of Cumberland, MD

Depending on the weather, we can have all out in your face slope conditions, or gentle giant scale aerotowing conditions. Generally there is some of both over the five day event.

We just completed building a new facility for planes and people.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

SleepyC

150cc
Dude that is beautiful!!! WOW, I bet that is a fun relaxing weekend!!!
Please post some pics when the event takes place, I'd love to see this awesomeness!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
you know Steve, it's a four hour drive for you and a four and a half hour drive for me.....if I can move my trip on those days I might make the drive

JimD

50cc
Please come as my guests, I would be thrilled to have you come and see what giant scale soaring and aerotowing is all about!

As a side note, most all of the giant scale IMAC planes could be used as tow planes. You may discover that you could do some aerotowing at your home fields...something a little different for the spectators to see. Horizon makes two really good giant scale sailplanes for those looking to get started, the 4.2m Blanik and the 4.7m ASW-20. Many examples of these were flown at the Horizon Hobby event two weeks ago. Here are some of the Blaniks, one stock and two highly customized.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg