• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How long to let an engine warm up?

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I've read on here that people let their engines warm up. How long should you warm up your engine before taking it airborne? I don't think I have ever seen anyone at my club do much more than start it, run it up a couple times to make sure the engine transitions smoothly and it sounds correct, and then fly. I fly out of Tucson... so maybe the heat here has something to do with that??

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
After starting, I taxi to the runway, just prior to entering the runway I do one run up just to ensure there is no loading, then I go fly.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
To make the engine worm the first flight of the day I just nail the throttle stick after the engine starts in the middle position for 15 sec' after that I play with the stick up and down a little bit to get is wormer, 3 - 5 sec full throttle and to the air.
It still spits gas through the cans when I take off, but after the first trimming line it's gone.

The next flights I just kick it and fly.

ryan_m

100cc
I've got telemetry on my motor, and I find that it only takes about 15-20 seconds of it running at a fast idle, maybe 2000 rpm or so for the temp of the motor to get up to about 150 degrees. After that I'll run it up a few times, check the transition and if all is well go fly.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
So it is almost impossible to not let it warmup as long as you make sure it runs well before takeoff. Good to know. Thanks gents!

garlandk

100cc
Its always a good idea once the engine is crank to let it idle for a good 10-20 second. Then give it a few clicks of throttle and let it stay there another 10 to 20 seconds. Then smoothly do a full throttle run up.

thurmma

150cc
I have always let my engines run at a few clicks above idle for about 30 seconds before transitioning to a full throttle run to clean them out. They seem to be happier this way :) I know, they tell me so every time I fly :)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I wear a glove, so by the time I start it, walk behind the plane, take off the glove and hang it on the fence, its warm enough to clean out, check the idle and fly. On a cold day I'll let it idle a little longer.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I have always let my engines run at a few clicks above idle for about 30 seconds before transitioning to a full throttle run to clean them out. They seem to be happier this way :) I know, they tell me so every time I fly :)
Apparently my planes have been talking to your planes. They tell me the same thing. :way_to_go:
I do my first flight of the day start ups the same way on all my motors. Start, kick it just above idle a click or two for 30 or so seconds. As @jamesrxx951 pointed out, a properly tuned engine really doesn't transition too well until warmed a bit. Cylinder heat is important to get the fuel to atomize correctly. Each flight after the first of the day, I let them idle just a few seconds less and away I go.