• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How many years have you been in the hobby?

How long have you been in the hobby?

• Total voters

econpatric

70cc twin V2
I thought it would be fun to start a poll where people could express the number of years they have been in the hobby. (By 'in the Hobby' I mean anything involving R/C aviation.)

It would also be fun to hear one brief piece of general advice from each person for those starting in the hobby today. (This might even be something to never do.)

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Great idea for a poll and discussion!

I voted... and my advice is: "Start with a 3D capable EPP Foamy!"

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
By 'in the hobby' would that be RC flying in general, or 3D flying? the answers would be 40 and two years respectively (I voted 'more than 10')

I think it's great to try different branches of the RC hobby. Your main interest might be 3D (and I appreciate that's what the site is about) but it's also fun to mix it up a bit and maybe try a glider or a speed model, they all have their appeal.

willfly2

30cc
answer more than 10. 28 yrs.
advise; try what ever peeks you'r interest. As long as it's legal. After this long I have just tried 3D and Heli. in the last 2 yrs. and love it. I also like to build/ keeps the mind and hands busy. This hobby has many challenges, many things to learn.

quadracer

100cc
I bought my first plane (an Airfield/HK/Brick P-51) last November. A month or two later, I bought a 48 Edge from Diggity. It's been downhill since then, LOL.

My advice? Invest in a sim. I cannot begin to tally the money it has saved me. :D

AltitudeHobbies

GSN SPONSOR
Hahaha. Yeah, but did you teach yourself how to fly? :D

I was the youngest member in my club of 70+ fliers for several years. Became the newsletter editor when I was 13 because no one else wanted the job. Then I somehow got roped into being the president at 18 yo and have been ever since.

Garret