• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

How to dye epoxy??

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi gang, trying to get the red PAU Pitts done but I've got a few gaps that I can't really seal with trim strips so I'd like to run a bead of epoxy like caulk to make it look nice-nice. I'll tape everything off so I won't make a mess but has anyone used dye to make epoxy a particular color while mixing it?

I need a nice red color.

Thanks!
Bart

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Epo Grip advertises shaving pastel chalk and mixing it to get the color you want.

{shrug}

Can't be any different than talc or microbaloons

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Used rit dye but ended up looking pinkish not red, would have to use alot of color and probably weaken the epoxy.
Good success with system 3 pigment but not sure about color selection, have white brown and black from them.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
ok guys, thanks for the info, i'll look into gel coat dye then use rit if all else fails. strength won't matter as it's already bonded and it isn't structural but it's good to keep in mind that the epoxy is weakened by the dye. come to think of it though, the West Systems filler is structural, I wonder what makes it structural vs. other fillers. maybe it absorbs and bonds to the epoxy?

thanks!

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
I have used ink out of a bic ballpoint pen in the past. Add 1 drop at a time. Results were better than I expected but it was a long time ago

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i was also thinking that since I"m going to mask off the area anyway, maybe I'll just bulk up the epoxy with filler, lay it into place and once it's set I'll just lay a coat of spray paint over it.

but the bic pen ink is a good idea too!