• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I Need To Vent

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Some of you may know me, many do not but my personal feelings on buying American and buying our RC goods from American shops and vendors would seem like the natural thing to do. We have hundreds of stores here in the US with great products, cheap prices and fantastic customer service. It makes me wonder why would we bother to send our money overseas, especially directly to china. I just have no clue why we as Americans would want to do that.

So, stupid me asks that question on abother forum where I hang out; "Why Not Buy Your RC Goods Locally" And when I say locally, I mean domestically. You would think that would not bring any criticism and there would be a lot of people saying "Right On! We should spend our money locally and help others here in the US."

Little know fact that I found out on Friday;

Shopping "locally" has a multiplier effect. One dollar spent at locally owned business returns FIVE TIMES that amount within the community through city taxes, employee's wages and purchase of materials and supplies at other independent businesses.

But instead of folks supporting that idea, I am what seems like a bunch of crap because I want to help support American businesses and the folks here in the US.

I just don't get it.

Maybe I am wrong? If so, please let me know and I'll rethink my position.

Thanks,

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
I agree. I buy almost all of my supplies/parts/components from LHS as much as possible, and what I can't buy there, I buy from Aztech Aeromodel or other domestic online stores. I used to buy Turnigy batteries, but that's not happening again.

njswede

150cc
As a principle, shopping locally and supporting local companies, or at least US companies is an idea I definitely support. Now, I have to admit I occasionally buy things from overseas when it's too much of a bargain to resist. But it's increasingly rare nowadays. Although their stuff is perfectly OK for sport flying, it just doesn't hold up even to the abuse a beginner 3D pilot like me subjects it to.

That being said, it's a sound principle and I can't see why anyone would take issue with it.

What I do take issue with is people coming down on others for their choice of vendors in a condescending way. But I've never seen that behavior from you.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Thank you gentlemen. Glad to see I was not out of line with my thinking. And I agree, folks should not belittle or take offense with how others spend their money. I certainly agree there. And if I want to spend my money at a vendor I trust then no one has the right to hassle me or get nasty with me simply because I do so. Even if I only choose to spend my money in North America! ;)

Thanks again,

Frank

Some of you may know me, many do not but my personal feelings on buying American and buying our RC goods from American shops and vendors would seem like the natural thing to do. We have hundreds of stores here in the US with great products, cheap prices and fantastic customer service. It makes me wonder why would we bother to send our money overseas, especially directly to china. I just have no clue why we as Americans would want to do that.

So, stupid me asks that question on abother forum where I hang out; "Why Not Buy Your RC Goods Locally" And when I say locally, I mean domestically. You would think that would not bring any criticism and there would be a lot of people saying "Right On! We should spend our money locally and help others here in the US."

Little know fact that I found out on Friday;

Shopping "locally" has a multiplier effect. One dollar spent at locally owned business returns FIVE TIMES that amount within the community through city taxes, employee's wages and purchase of materials and supplies at other independent businesses.

But instead of folks supporting that idea, I am what seems like a bunch of crap because I want to help support American businesses and the folks here in the US.

I just don't get it.

Maybe I am wrong? If so, please let me know and I'll rethink my position.

Thanks,

Frank

+100!!!

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
you are not out of line one bit. People also don't get that some stuff straight from china is actually more expensive than buying from a US based company. Ex.- HK 30 amp ESC- $20+$10-$30 shipping. ZTW 30 amp ESC from altitude hobby- $24+ $3.50 shipping. A LOT LESS. People just don't get it.

teookie

70cc twin V2
For items available domestically I definitely buy them domestically. I've never bought anything from hobby king.

I have bought from Pilot RC before but that was a product not available domestically.

Don't forget though that a lot of the stuff being sold by domestic companies is manufactured over seas. You'll probably make more of an impact buying all your food from local sources then hobby supplies.

coreman

50cc
you are not out of line one bit. People also don't get that some stuff straight from china is actually more expensive than buying from a US based company. Ex.- HK 30 amp ESC- $20+$10-$30 shipping. ZTW 30 amp ESC from altitude hobby- $24+ $3.50 shipping. A LOT LESS. People just don't get it.

Sadly even a lot of "US" stuff is just rebranding/distributed from offshore manufacturing either in the orient or even in Mexico across the border. Many times it just means they have bought a container rather than paid shipping per part

Ztw Model
Address: No.1 East Road, Jinshan, Dadao Shenzhen Guangdong 518000 China

gyro

GSN Contributor
Sadly even a lot of "US" stuff is just rebranding/distributed from offshore manufacturing either in the orient or even in Mexico across the border. Many times it just means they have bought a container rather than paid shipping per part

Ztw Model
Address: No.1 East Road, Jinshan, Dadao Shenzhen Guangdong 518000 China

Coreman,

You bring up a valid point, but I think you're missing the concept. I'll use your ZTW reference as an example. I beleive that the only ESC made in the US exclusively are Castle Creations. Does that mean we should all only buy Caslte?
Just about everything for this hobby, including nearly every single one of our favorite ARFs, ESC, Motors, Transmitters and Receivers, is made outside the US. If we choose to buy exclusively US designed, consturcted, assembled, manufactured, or produced ONLY, this hobby could get very boring, very fast. So what can we do? Well, one thing is that we could choose support US based business when buying our airplanes and supplies. By doing this, we are able to provide some support and profit for US business, and allow US families to make a living for themselves. These business that earn our money, will usually spend it within the US, within their local communites, and pay US taxes on their profits, thus paying those dollars forward within our country. I can't think of a better way to help our country's economy.
I'm not saying that every distributor in the US deserves our business, be picky and choosy! But to avoid buying a ZTW (probably my favorite ESC) because it is manufactured in China seems a little over kill to me. If I have a choice to between a US supplier and a overseas supplier, my choice will nearly always be the US.

So, in the end, I choose to support businesses that conduct themselves with strong ethics, high emphasis on customer service, and top quality merchandise. If they were smart enough to setup a supply chain that makes them profitable, good for them.

The above is just my personal opinion.

-G

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Don't forget though that a lot of the stuff being sold by domestic companies is manufactured over seas. You'll probably make more of an impact buying all your food from local sources then hobby supplies.

This is a great point.

Frank, my problem with your statement/point is that you're over-generalizing and you're playing the "America" card when it doesn't apply completely as you infer.

I know you mean well and I understand you want to help local economies, but I feel your argument and reasoning don't match up and you're playing the "local" and "domestic" card which tends to stir emotion...but in reality, it doesn't add up. (This is my opinion and I'm very open to discussing...I WANT to hear everyone's view on this)

I especially hate it when local VENDORS use this argument to get us to feel guilty and buy from their stores. Why does that piss me off? Because they're saying it's not ok for ME to buy from China...but it's ok for THEM to buy from China and sell to me at a profit. That’s just a hypocritical way of marketing to make money off of emotion.

This is 2012 and the internet has changed everything and that includes commerce and how business is conducted. That’s the simple fact. Businesses need to adapt and change…not try to stick to 50+ (just grabbed that number out of the air) year old supplier/distributor/consumer models simply because that’s how they learned business works in college 20 years ago. Business is NOT how it was when you had a local supermarket, hardware store, appliance store, or a Local Hobby Store.

That’s simply how it is now. To survive you have to be INNOVATIVE and figure out how to adapt to what’s happening in the world. That’s what promotes competition and ultimately makes things better. We (collective) can’t harp on how things “used” to be and try to make everyone feel guilty about what’s happening.

Frank, I really love your list of US companies that manufacture here in the US. I without a doubt use those whenever absolutely possible.

However, I feel that when a consumer makes the decision to use a product that was manufactured overseas…then money is going overseas no matter what. It’s then up to the consumer to decide what he/she “wants” and where they spend their money.

Here’s the thing!! 9 times out of 10, if the consumer does their homework…they WILL find a vendor that makes the most sense for what they “want”….and that happens to be domestic!!

I love that you are trying to get the word out about some of the AMAZING US based vendors, Altitude, HURC, (I’ve left many out, but you all get my point)….they are without a doubt GREAT vendors and do a lot to deserve our business. I’m saying that the decision to use these vendors should have nothing to do with if they happen to be in the same country as you!!

That’s what the “keep your money local” argument does…and in a round-about way you’re “guilting” people with the idea of keeping money in America when that’s a large over-generalization with many more factors then your money staying in our country. I think I think Azarr said it best:

let's say instead of buying a $50 item from a mail order company in a different state, I buy the same item direct from overseas for $10. In both cases the overseas company gets my $10. Yet if I buy direct from overseas, I now have $40 to spend at my local farmer's market, pizza place, movie theater. Now my $40 really stays local. If I have an excess of funds and don't need it for day to day expenses I can invest my $40 and still it remains domestic.

My Vendor Philosophy
I feel the better philosophy is to simply support QUALITY vendors. Locality should have nothing to do with it. (PROXIMITY yes...proximity and locality are two different things) You should choose vendor that supplies you with what you “want”…and that includes service, communication, speed, quality, reliability, etc etc.

Unfortunately, consumers get fooled and don’t take the time to figure out what they “want”. We need to stop and think beyond the shiny part/gadget/gizmo/aircraft and think about service, shipping, time, support, etc etc.

If you take your time and base your decision on what you really “need”...then the consumer is satisfied and the vendor they chose DESERVES that business.

Now, that’s easier said than done and it TAKES WORK and TIME to figure out what you really “want”…and that’s where LHS can play a part. Actually, that’s where they MIGHT play a part…I’ve been to many LHS’s who know HARDLY ANYTHING about what I want. Is that MY fault? No. Do they deserve my business simply because they’re located near me? No.

The simple fact is that everyone in this hobby is unique and everyone “wants” something different. Some consumers “need” different things. In the year 2012 your vendor should be based on those “wants” and “needs”….not on locality.

I used to buy from Hobby King until I learned about Anthony Hand and how he does business. I have not placed an order with them for over 22 months and I never will again.

I HAVE ordered from pw-rc.com in Hong Kong before because they used to carry FMS products and the owner, Phillip is one of the best examples of a quality shop owner who will quickly support you and help you get what you “want”. I do NOT feel guilty for doing business with pw-rc.com and I resent anyone for trying to make me feel like I made a bad choice for doing so.

I HAVE ordered from SN hobbies in Canada. Same thing…I was looking for FMS products and Delfin (the owner) is a stand-up gentleman who gives the support I “want” and is another example of someone I want to do business with. I do NOT feel guilty for doing business with SN Hobbies and I resent anyone for trying to make me feel like I made a bad choice for doing so.

This whole time I could have gotten my FMS products from Nitroplanes and Banana Hobby, but I chose not to based on what I “wanted”.

In closing, just like Gyro said, this is my opinion and how I choose to do my business. Just wanted to share my thoughts!