• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

I'm finally Crack Free....and I'm rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I regret to say that I'm no longer going to be flying Crack planes. There is no higher markup in rc airframes than high-end profile foamies. I like to fly the best, but I don't want to be taken advantage of. I've supported RC Factory and Twisted Hobbies by flying and pushing their products on fellow modelers for three years. They sell a great product. We all know they fly very well. They deserve a good price for their efforts. But can't they throw us a bone a couple times a year and give us a tiny break on that 400%+ mark-up?...I guess not anymore.

This year I had planned on buying two new Crack planes on Black Friday. I don't spend much time online these days, so I can't stay up on the deals like I used two. I briefly saw a post about a Twisted Hobbies Black Friday sale. It mentioned their sale was coming early this year. I assumed that like many other retailers, they were simply starting the sale early this year. What I didn't realize is that they weren't having the sale AT ALL on Black Friday, but a one day sale a week prior. I lined up all the items in my carts to go with my new Crack planes. I prefer Hacker power systems and Futaba servos in my foamies, so I pulled the trigger on that stuff. I was so excited! I tried to check out at Twisted and couldn't get the deal. I was a little nervous. I went to their add and realized that I had missed the sale which happened on one day a week prior. I was a little upset. Sure I missed the details, but I though how can they call this a Black Friday sale?!

I didn't panic. I politely went to their Facebook product support page and asked for them to honor the price. I explained the situation. I received a resonse promptly. The excuse was that it gets "too crazy" this time of year to offer a sale to customers. It was also pointed out that the information about when and how the sale was offered was very clear and that all customers got word. Well, I rebutted with explaining how their system failed to get to me. Not all loyal customers are fanboys or in every product forum and mailing list. I received no further responses.

So, my search began for a more affordable option with a company that believes in fair pricing and a good old fashioned sale. I found my match in Fancy Foam Models! The sale is still going on. Their prices are 20%+ lower and they seem like a good company with a solid reputation. They are offering Free Shipping AND 10% off over $50. I'm not a fan of most of their planes, but WOW is that MX2 a performer in both epp and depron. Also, if you like depron, the Yak 55 is amazing too. They even have airfoiled planes that can still pull off indoor flight! It's a great deal. I bought the MX2 right after watching a video of it flying.

My second choice was a very affordable option and looks to be very nice. I went with the Techone 800mm Epp MXS. It seems to be by all reports just as good as a Crack plane at 40% less cost, plus it includes gear and nice hardware. There are some great YouTube videos that show it off well. I can't wait to get it!

I'm really disappointed in Twisted Hobbies. This is personal for me. I spend a lot of money on this hobby. I wanted a fair shot at a sale others had. If I had gotten an email with details of the sale, or they would have made things right...I would fly their planes. I guess it was too tough to have a sale like 75% of the other retailers. I know several others were also disappointed in them this week. They sell a great product. This just opened my eyes to how much I was overpaying for the product that isn't any better than what others are offering cheaper. These hobby retailers should be thankful they are primarily selling to men. Women would have put places acting like Twisted Hobbies on Black Friday out of business in no time at all. I am really excited for indoor this year though;). That's what it's all about.

njswede

150cc
Let me see if I get this straight... You missed their sale by a week and that's somehow their fault?

Twisted Realm

SITE SPONSOR
GSN SPONSOR
Hi Skywagn180 our apologizes about our recent sale release timing situation. We will focus harder on our future sales regarding release information and its details for all of our customers.

AKfreak

150cc
I have flown the best Fancy Foam has to offer, I am here to tell you, they do not fly anything like the best the Twisted Hobbys has to offer. Also I have had problems with Fancy Foam with respect to honesty. I built a Fancy Foam model that I have invested almost $800 in and 80+ hours of my time only to find out the plane they sold me was based on a lie.

To each their own, but if you are into foamies, and you aren't flying Twisted Hobbys, you may want to rethink your position. The only one you are hurting is yourself. Nothing in the EPP world flys 3D as well as a Twisted . It's just the fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have flown the best Fancy Foam has to offer, I am here to tell you, they do not fly anything like the best the Twisted Hobbys has to offer. Also I have had problems with Fancy Foam with respect to honesty. I built a Fancy Foam model that I have invested almost $800 in and 80+ hours of my time only to find out the plane they sold me was based on a lie.

To each their own, but if you are into foamies, and you aren't flying Twisted Hobbys, you may want to rethink your position. The only one you are hurting is yourself. Nothing in the EPP world flys 3D as well as a Twisted . It's just the fact.

Wow,

That's a bold claim AKfreak. I know they make a great flying foamy, but mostly they are just prettier. I never said they didn't make a good flying plane, but are they really that much better that they don't have to play ball with the rest of the industry during sale periods? Especially with the premium they charge to own one. I have flown most production epp foamies in the 32" size range. I've flown some $25 and $35 dollar airframes that fly just as good and I've proven it. You just have to throw out the crappy hardware and make a few adjustments on the cheap ones. No Crack plane has ever made me look bad with my discount brand epp planes flying next to them. I'm not a fan of most of the Fancy Foam models either. I hear you there. The MX2s and MX3s are on a whole different level according to the video footage and my research. The newer Techone planes are pretty much a Crack plane and just as pretty for almost half the cost. How about a fly off to see which flies better? :eek: Lol.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Tom you are missing the point though - he is Rich now!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Wow,

That's a bold claim AKfreak. I know they make a great flying foamy, but mostly they are just prettier. I never said they didn't make a good flying plane, but are they really that much better that they don't have to play ball with the rest of the industry during sale periods? Especially with the premium they charge to own one. I have flown most production epp foamies in the 32" size range. I've flown some $25 and $35 dollar airframes that fly just as good and I've proven it. You just have to throw out the crappy hardware and make a few adjustments on the cheap ones. No Crack plane has ever made me look bad with my discount brand epp planes flying next to them. I'm not a fan of most of the Fancy Foam models either. I hear you there. The MX2s and MX3s are on a whole different level according to the video footage and my research. The newer Techone planes are pretty much a Crack plane and just as pretty for almost half the cost. How about a fly off to see which flies better? :eek: Lol.

So you're saying you'll support the copy of the original, instead of sticking with the innovator with amazing customer service that also supports our community and events?

You may want to checkout Extreme Flight for your next balsa plane... Oh wait... They're one of the top 3 vendors out there, charge near the top of the market, and NEVER have sales. Ever.

Just saying man... Let it go. You missed the sale, but that doesn't change the quality or performance of the product that you love... You're just not saving $10 or $20.

You guys don't seem very friendly. Brand loyalty is one thing, but being vindictive to defend your brand is another. This is between me and a retailer that upset me with their business practice. It is my choice to hold them accountable and I am doing so to help you and others keep prices and customer expectations in check. I did not ever bad mouth their product.

The "rich" part was a joke. I just saved a few bucks so I'm making fun of myself for being cheep. I've never seen a copy of a Crack plane. They just don't exist. Some have used ideas from the design, but exact materials and construction techniques have not ever been copied to my knowledge. Techone did start to use similar spars, but how many foamies out there have similar spars and bracing to other brands? The designs are totally different.

FYI, I actually own the 125" E.F. Extra. No I did not buy it on sale. I have never bought and airframe from them because of it. I bought it almost new, but used, at less than 1/3 the cost from an IMACer who had problems with tail twisting and hinge issues. The manufacturer knew about these major problems and upgraded their later production models. I modified the airframe, recovered it like new and it is now better than any production version out there. These things are all made in China these days. Nobody has a perfect airframe.

All my 3dhs stuff was purchased on sale. They aren't too good to bring down their premium prices for us once in a while. Horizon also gets my business when sales happen. Last year it was the Beast for 20% off and free shipping. Twisted Hobbies usually helps us out. They did this year too. I just didn't agree with the way the sale was done and misunderstood it as I only glanced at the add in passing on a message board. I didn't ever receive it. It messed with my plans. I asked them to fix the problem and they didn't. That's not $40 worth of customer service to me. Who needs service on a foamy anyway really? To be honest, I build many myself and they perform and look as good as production models. Time is just at a premium, so I kit it sometimes. This is not a personal attack on any of you. Please don't take it that way or act like it is.

Twisted Realm

SITE SPONSOR
GSN SPONSOR
Hi Skywagn180 I think we can focus on what you are stating we did incorrectly and work on it together. Moving forward you have stated " I just didn't agree with the way the sale was done and misunderstood it as I only glanced at the add in passing on a message board. I didn't ever receive it. It messed with my plans. I asked them to fix the problem and they didn't."

Ok great, I think we are on to something with good validity here. May you please try to help explain what we didn't fix for you or what you didn't understand? We always try to write short and simple adds so there is 0 confusion, please note we are always here to help pertaining to pretty much anything you guys have questions with. Also it would be great if you have any suggestions on how we may be able to offer it again differently in the future. We are more then willing to listen to our customers especially when it comes to creating positive new ideas with them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.