• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAQ I'm new to 3D... where do I start?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Alright fellas... lets start putting together some 3D noob 101 info.

Starter planes, best radios with room to grow, best planes to start, etc.

Aaeolien

70cc twin V2
Great planes to start with. Twisted Hobbies 32" Crack series. Pick the one you like the looks of and fly it till you don't think it'll fly anymore then fly it some more. I have the crack Pitts and crack slick as my first 3d capable airframes and have beat them to death and they are still flying like the day I put them together. I've half torn off wings, elevator, ailerons. Very very durable airframes that fly very very well.

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
+1 for EPP. My crack yak now has 14 glued rips on the nose, I have glued ripped aileron hinges twice on each edge, rglued the elevator hinge, its missing at least half of every SFG, the bottom of the fuse and tail are shredded from landing on asphalt. The crazy thing- it still flies like the day I got it, even through the nose has been rotated 15 degrees from not glueing straight. EPP is hands down THE best thing for 3D beginners.

Radio? What I have been told is to get anything with dual rates, mixing, and expo. If you are a Spektrum guy, get at least a Dx6i or Dx7I. For futaba, get at least a 6EX. Airtronics? I've heard it pretty much sucks, due to veerrryyyy slow transmission.

Flying? I really can't talk here, as I'm a 3D noob myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

rdcskkrose

Banned
Alright fellas... lets start putting together some 3D noob 101 info.

Starter planes, best radios with room to grow, best planes to start, etc.

For a starter the Aeroworks 540 profile is a good choice. It's not foam and has a built up wing. I think I have $225 in mine with a Scorpion 2215, HS65HB all around, 1300 3S, spinning a 11x3.8 SF. NO FEARS!

Accessories? If you have drunk the koolaid and your gonna be at this a while, get the best you can afford. You'll need a good TX. I'm a Spetrum guy so for reference I'll throw these out. The Dx61 ($100 - 120 all day long for sale on the other side) is a good start on your way up to a Dx8 ($280 on a good day on the other side). Receivers? I always want one with a satellite minimum. AR6200 is a good choice. Speed controllers? ZTW is a nice economical choice. Batteries? These are a commodity (cheap)

I would go to twisted hobbies and look at the Telink or RcFactory planes. Probably Telink because the landing gear is stronger. ZTW esc are great. And don't make the mistake with Spektrum, go Futaba 7C min or 8FG which is great. Ha this should get some laughs! If you need more help on setting up a Telink just pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK... go to DWFoamies and get the 40 inch Yak 55 or the JuKa... seriously.. they fly AWESOME!!!

better buy two, 'cuz after a couple weeks... you gonna try some crazy Sh33t you wouldn't normally do when sober!!!

they are a total kick to fly and Mike Morgan runs a great company!!