• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Interesting read from the AMA today -NTSB judge rules FAA ban on commercial UAS/Drone

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I thought you guys maybe interesting in this ruling.

140221_drone_ap_605.jpg

In a ruling late Thursday, 3/6, NTSB Administrative Law Judge Patrick Geraghty ruled that the FAA policy banning the commercial operation of unmanned aircraft is “non-binding”, hence unenforceable. The judge found that the policy wasn’t written as part of a formal rulemaking process and the FAA hadn’t complied with the requirements of the Administrative Procedures Act. The FAA policy was published in the Federal Register in 2007 and has effectively banned the operation of commercial and public use UAS in the national airspace over the past seven years.

This finding came as part of the judge ‘s ruling on attorney Brendan Schulman’s motion to dismiss FAA’s Order of Assessment against Raphael Pirker, aka “Trappy”. Mr. Pirker was fined $10,000 by the FAA under 14 CFR 91.13 for allegedly operating an aircraft in a careless and reckless manner while flying a UAS through the University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville, Virginia.

This ruling effectively lifts the ban on the commercial operation of small unmanned aircraft, those aircraft that would otherwise meet the description of a model aircraft.

It’s a bit too soon to say how the FAA will respond to the ruling, or what this means to the UAS community. But, by all accounts, this is a game changer.

Click the link below and read the complete story as reported by Kevin Robillard on POLITICO.com

Judge strikes down small drones ban Read the judges decision…
Docket CP-217, FAA v. Raphael Pirker

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
Fun fact: this Brendan Schulman character mentioned in the article is the guy who shot that awesome FPV video of Joe flying James Rini's 89 at the NJ FLI last year. I think Gyro remembers him.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Fun fact: this Brendan Schulman character mentioned in the article is the guy who shot that awesome FPV video of Joe flying James Rini's 89 at the NJ FLI last year. I think Gyro remembers him.

I do... still have his card in case I'm ever in need of a good east coast attorney as well :D

Santi8

70cc twin V2
This is a big win for trappy and team black sheep as well as the entire fpv community. For now at least!