• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Iron-on coverings? Opinions?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi guys and gals, just wondering what is the bees' knees these days as far as coverings go. Monokote? Ultrakote? Chinakote? I've used just about all of it at some point or another but things change so figured I'd ask.

Am thinking about redoing a 35% Cap 232 so I need a lot of Cub Yellow and a week's worth of spare time to strip it and lay it all down.

What's good and why?

Thanks!
Bart

kork

70cc twin V2
Ultra gets my vote. The stuff is just plain awesome because it shrinks soooo nice and especially on wing tips.
The backing stays on it till your ready to split it. Super low heat will let you cover over top of base colors without air bubbles.
You will look like a pro after working with Ultracote.
Not to mention its on sale at a great price
10 bucks off 10mter rolls, just for you 35%er

http://www.horizonhobby.com/storefr...g.i5ZWBQ&_bta_c=3xxs3ic9syiv7xvxxg9dbcfnccjub

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Personally I like Ultracoat because their colors are very nice and it is thicker. Wont shrink like china or mono though (not in a bad way). China coat IMO has better adhesion and shrinks better and seems to stay shrunk better but the colors lack lustre. Also with the China coat the excess white adhesive cleans off easily with alcohol.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Bart, Ultra all the way. A few things about Ultra that Mono or even China can not even compare to. Smooth adhesion. Easy stretchability. The Ultra is a much more durable covering in all aspects. I have seen people put holes through wings in colder weather with Mono. The "ONLY" drawback to Ultracote is that you better have lots of blades handy. It will eat them quick. As for removing Ultra? It comes off so much better than any other covering. All around, covering that new beast of yours in Ultracote will be the cats meow. Ya just can't go wrong.

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
i can't remember what I covered with Ultracoat a while back but I know I've used it. I just seem to remember that the edges don't lay down and stick like Monokote but Monokote isn't what it once was so it's hard to decide.

I'll probably try Ultracoat again and see how it turns out.

Nobody wants to vouch for Chinakote? Someone out there must have tried it

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I used to use only monokote, but something seemed to change in its ability to shrink around corners and such. Now I only use Ultracote. It is very easy to work with.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
i can't remember what I covered with Ultracoat a while back but I know I've used it. I just seem to remember that the edges don't lay down and stick like Monokote but Monokote isn't what it once was so it's hard to decide.

I tried Chinakote once. That was enough.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I think since they changed the adhesive formula on Ultracote, the edges do much better. I have not had any issues. Key point on edges, A little more heat than usually needed for the rest of your covering job.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry

:msn_slap:Does not any one listen to me!?LOL