• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Less pitch for easier landings?

njswede

150cc
Hi! I'm a Giant Scale noob...

I still need a lot of runway to land my 104" 3DHS Slick. If you've ever flown one, you know it's extremely floaty and doesn't give up energy easily. Even with idle set to around 1700 rpm on the ground and a fairly shallow glide slope, I'm having problems bleeding off enough energy.

I'm swinging a 27x11 which I picked to reduce prop rip. Someone told me that the pitch causes issues when slowing down the plan and that I'd be better off with a 29x9. I've decided not to fly the plane at the field where we have noise issues, so the rip is less of an issue.

Would I experience easier landings with less pitch?

Practice side slips up high. It will get you slowed down nicely. I would have a hard time choosing a prop for landing performance.

njswede

150cc
Well, it's not just landing performance. I'd like it to slow down a bit easier when I put it into harriers and hovers too. Most people seem to fly this plane on less pitch, so I think that's where I'm going now that the rip is less of a problem.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Larger diameter and less pitch act like a "dish" to aid "in flight breaking". I find just "getting used" to the chosen set up is what's really best and then fine tune the characteristic with prop choice.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Setup a few degrees of crow...start with about a 1/4" and that will take some of the lift out of it. I had that on my slick for the rare days that there wasn't any wind.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Yep, for crow you need flaps to offset the ailerons.

Really, just practice flying slow patterns down the runway. I mean not harrier slow, but slow flight (on the wing). Set it up on a downwind leg then turn base to final. DON'T land, just bring it down the runway about head height but in slow flight. Add power and go around. Repeat over and over until you're comfortable with flying the plane slow and near the runway. this will help you land any plane just about anywhere.

Forward slips are next on the agenda. Knowing how to do these properly can get you into a very tight field.

Get comfortable up high for how slow you plane will fly. Once you get it nailed down bring it down that slow when you line up for landing. usually when I come in for a landing I will do a slow pass way in front of the runway to slow it down. Then I make my slow turn to line up for approach. Keep it low so you don't gain much speed on your decent.

Yep, for crow you need flaps to offset the ailerons.

Really, just practice flying slow patterns down the runway. I mean not harrier slow, but slow flight (on the wing). Set it up on a downwind leg then turn base to final. DON'T land, just bring it down the runway about head height but in slow flight. Add power and go around. Repeat over and over until you're comfortable with flying the plane slow and near the runway. this will help you land any plane just about anywhere.

Forward slips are next on the agenda. Knowing how to do these properly can get you into a very tight field.
beat me to it.

njswede

150cc
On one of my flights yesterday, I came in way hot and had do go around. And old guy who flies badly designed and draggy crap sport planes came up to me and yelled "Nose down! Airspeed, man! Airspeed!". Sometimes I'm happy I have such mild manners... :) I tried to explain the concept of a floaty plane and the need for bleeding off energy. But to no avail.