Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne Project — Scratch building a scale hybrid Heli

Discussion in 'Giant Scale News' started by GSNadmin, Mar 27, 2017.

1. GSNadmin

GSNadmin Staff Member

A few years back I designed a scale model of the Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne, probably my favorite helicopter of all time. The experimental Cheyenne featured a variable-pitch pusher prop and small wings, which allowed it to fly much like an airplane and gave it a top speed of nearly 250 MPH. My Cheyenne was based on Align T-Rex 450 hardware, with many customized components to allow it to fit in the slender fiberglass fuselage. The project turned out really well, and I was particularly honored that this little model was awarded first place in the helicopter class at the 2011 Toledo Weak Signals show. My only regret for the Cheyenne was that I didn’t make it bigger. This year I decided it was time to do something about that.

For my larger Cheyenne I’ve settled on Blade 600 X mechanics, “stretched” to 700 size with a longer tail boom and 690mm blades. This will result in a 1/10 scale model 65″ long. As the preliminary line drawing shows, this machine is going to dwarf the previous version.

I drew the fuselage for the Cheyenne in Rhino 3D, which allows me to verify fit for all components. This 3D model will be used to machine a foam plug, which will then be glassed, finished and waxed so that it can be the master for a female fiberglass mold.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The scale airframe is certainly the star of any scale build, but on a project like the Cheyenne my first priority was to get the mechanics built and test flown. After all, the complex tail unit, with its outrigger tail rotor and variable-pitch pusher prop, is the key to the entire project, so that’s a natural place to start. So let’s set the body aside for now and move on to the mechanics….

Model Airplane News - The #1 resource for RC plane and helicopter enthusiasts featuring news, videos, product releases and tech tips.

Continue reading...

2. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Nice.