• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

mixing on Phoenix

wedoitall

so lately ive pretty much just have been practicing slow rolls and 4point rolls on Phoenix. they are actually looking pretty decent for a noob, but i think if i can tweak with mixes ill be happier with them.
On point rolls when im in KE im getting coupling and also im having to hold alil aeliron to get wings to be perfect up and down(1st and 3rd quarter) in KE also. ive tried to mix it out but with no luck.

In real life flying i havent played with mixes too much yet. mainly because ive flown foam. BUT i have a 47" Osiris and a 3dhs 48" Edge on the way and another plane or 2 in the works so im gonna have to learn how to use mixes better.

my question is , on Phoenix or any other sim, have you guys used mixes? I cant seem to get them to work, Im sure im doing something wrong.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Are you trying to mix in the radio itself or through the advanced features in the Phoenix software? I think mixing from the radio will just cause a mess.

njswede

150cc
Which model are you flying in Phoenix? Most of the 3D/aerobatic models have very little coupling in my experience. I usually fly the big gasser Yak, since it has the most realistic behavior IMHO. That model has an ever so slight pull towards the canopy in KE flight, but it's barely enough to warrant a mix.

That being said, Phoneix (or any sim for that matter) is a great platform for experimenting with mixes. You can use the mixing functions in Phoenix to create some adverse coupling and then play with the radio mixes to try to eliminate it. Great way to practice mixing!

econpatric

70cc twin V2
That being said, Phoneix (or any sim for that matter) is a great platform for experimenting with mixes. You can use the mixing functions in Phoenix to create some adverse coupling and then play with the radio mixes to try to eliminate it. Great way to practice mixing!

Wouldn't the mixing in the radio cause problems in its function on the simulator? Seems like it would be a great idea to learn mixes.

njswede

150cc
Wouldn't the mixing in the radio cause problems in its function on the simulator? Seems like it would be a great idea to learn mixes.

Not really. Remember, all the radio mixing does is to add "coupling" so that when you move one control surface (e.g. rudder) another surface (e.g. elevator) moves along with it, but with much lower gain (i.e. less throws). So the simulator just sees it as the user moving the two sticks at the same time.

Now, the simulator itself has a function for mixing. My suggestion is to use that to deliberately mess with the characteristics of the plane to introduce e.g. pitch-to-roll coupling. Then, as an exercise, you could try to use the mixing function of the radio to try to get rid of the bad behavior.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Well, I stand corrected on my first post.

So would this also hold true for expo, DR and flight modes? For some reason using those features (DR, expo and flight modes) on my JR 9503 never seemed to make anything other than a negative difference? It always seems like it was adversely affecting the airplane on the simulator in one way or another. Maybe I'm set up wrong? Could this be due to the requirement of being in heli mode to operate in Phoenix?

Thanks NJSwede!

Last edited by a moderator:

njswede

150cc
I can't speak for every combination of TX and simulator, but when I use my DX7 with Phoenix, the mixes, DR and trims/subtrims definitely apply.

That being said, the models in Phoenix are typically set up to fly "perfect", with as little coupling as possible. So, yes, adding mixes to the standard models isn't going to help.

And I'm not familiar enough with the JR9503 to address the question about heli mode.

wedoitall

its mostly roll coupling on KE section on long hesitations on point rol. but trims and all that seem to work fine. but not mixes like econpatric said either no effect or some negative effect. but im sure im setting up the mixes wrong on the dx8. ive read alil bit on forums yesterday on programming mixes on the dx8 as the manual doesnt really go over it. but say im gonna setup a KE mix on a real plane or sim, whatever- rudder to elevator whats a decent starting point for the rate? and do you use offset and trim function? one thing that i know absolutely nothing about is setting up mixes.

wedoitall

thanks, but yea ive read that before. i think i know what to mix just not how much. like one guy posted on the thread of the link above he used 4% rudder to elevator. on my dx8 if i bring up that same mix it has a number percentage to input. actually 2 numbers to input and a offset. in his case 4% do i put in 4% twice? or 4% and 0? i havent tried in real flying just on the Phoenix and ive tried many different numbers with no real improvement