Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Molded fiberglass fuel tanks?

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by Bartman, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

Hey folks,

Was just wondering what tricks there are to making a custom molded fiberglass fuel tank. Is the fiberglass resin naturally resistant to the fuel or does it have to be sealed after it's made?

I'd like to get a tank to mount right on the CG for my Laser but there's a little over an inch and a half between the bottom of the fuselage and the bottom of the wing tube so I'd need a relatively flat and wide tank to slide in there.

Thanks!

2. Bartman

Just figured I'd look around to see what I've got on the shelf and found this! Woohoo! 16oz and fits perfect!

IMG_20160716_142828672.jpg IMG_20160716_142822162.jpg

But, for the heck of it, how would I make a fiberglass tank if I wanted to?

pawnshopmike and JAG like this.
  3. jhelber08

jhelber08 70cc twin V2

If I'm not mistaken the jet guys use kevlar tanks, never seen a fiber glass one. You would have to make a mold and glue two halves together. Either that or fashion a disappearing plug that you can fiberglass over and then use gas to dissolve (something like foam).

4. Alky6

Alky6 150cc

You need to use a marine grade (or better) epoxy to make a tank. Even then, check for compatibility with the fuel. I believe the gas will soften the fiberglass resin with extended contact.

5. HRRC Flyer

HRRC Flyer GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Hey @Bartman,

I may be totally wrong about this (it has been known to happen on occassion. . . . . :laughing:), but I think you would have fuel delivery problems with a tank that is so flat once you have used part of the fuel in the tank.

thurmma likes this.

6. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

Snoopy1, pawnshopmike and Alky6 like this.
  7. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

Old B1 Bob has molded just about everything over the years

8. Here is a fiberglass fuel tank, I made many when I was still building home builts, but this one was in my R/C Staudacher. 096.jpg

Alpha20, Jetpainter and Bartman like this.
  9. Pistolera

Pistolera HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!

Whatever happened to that Staudacher Bob???

10. Bartman

Thanks for that! What was the trick to keeping it sealed? Epoxy type/brand? Or will any good quality epoxy like West Systems do the trick??