• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MX2 or G202

I have the plans almost complete,Fiberglass parts, Wing and stab tubes, and canopy on hand for my newest design. Originally drawn as a MX2 but I really like the swept wing of the G202. At this point it would be an easy change to the G202 wing. The fuse and tail is almost identical for both birds. Any thoughts out there? I like designing planes that are a little different that all the ARF choices out there so they stand out in the crowd, but don't want to use the swept G202 wing if it's gonna make the plane fly like crap. I have had quite a few G202's over the years in smaller planes. Some flew good and others were far from my favorites. Feel free to express your experiences with the larger G202's that were out there. Thanks, Scott

N726AC

70cc twin V2
Subscribed!

Ya do know that in the full scale world the G-200, G-202 was designed around the 4 cylinder AEIO-360 Lycoming and the MX series around its larger, six cylinder counterpart. Actually, they don't share much. Now in the model world they look almost identical with the exception of the wing planform.

Wayne Hadleys Turbo Raven was actually registered as a G-700. ;)

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
Had one with a Saito 150 back in the day. Flew great for 3 years until I tried to get one more flight out of that NiCad pack. :grumpy:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Simple solution! Design both wings and find a common wing tube location that will work with both sets of wings and make it interchangeable!!!!!! That way you have the option of building either or both. You could even set the plane up with both, create two programs in your TX and have an external bind plug port on the plane so you could fly whichever you feel like that day.

:fist-pump-and-yes-s

What size plane are you designing??

N726AC

70cc twin V2
Terryscustom;19755 wrote: Simple solution! Design both wings and find a common wing tube location that will work with both sets of wings and make it interchangeable!!!!!! That way you have the option of building either or both. You could even set the plane up with both, create two programs in your TX and have an external bind plug port on the plane so you could fly whichever you feel like that day.

Best idea yet !!

Terryscustom;19755 wrote: Simple solution! Design both wings and find a common wing tube location that will work with both sets of wings and make it interchangeable!!!!!! That way you have the option of building either or both. You could even set the plane up with both, create two programs in your TX and have an external bind plug port on the plane so you could fly whichever you feel like that day.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing. I have one set of cores already cut without being cut out for the wing tube. I could just do another set and position the tube differently for each wings C/G location. 35% size for a 100cc or 120cc engine.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
lakerider8;19783 wrote: Actually, I was thinking the same thing. I have one set of cores already cut without being cut out for the wing tube. I could just do another set and position the tube differently for each wings C/G location. 35% size for a 100cc or 120cc engine.
Very nice!!

BalsaDust

Sub'd. Can't wait to see this come together like your chippy. Just remember to be careful when heating up poly glue in the microwave.

reyn3545

100cc
I had a CARF MX-2 several years ago... probably my favorite plane ever. So much that last week, I saw a used one and bought it. I know CARF used the old Giles fuse and fitted Extra wings, they added fillets, etc.. but it was their Extra wing design.

If you flying style is slower, 3-D type of flying, would the swept back Giles design make it more apt to stall or wing rock? I'm just a circle flyer, so I don't know first hand.