• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help! My 3DHS 57" Extra 330SC has a warped aileron and I need advice.

I started building my 3DHS Extra 330sc and notices an issue on one of the wings. When I went to hinge and glue the aileron to the wing, I noticed a pretty significant hinge gap at the tip of the wing. Anyway, I wanted to get this question out there because I'm anxious to have this build for memorial weekend and I know this is a busy time for 3D Hobby Shop. It can take a while to get a response from them sometimes. Anyway, should I be concerned? Will it effect the flight performance? Rather than have one large gap at the tip of the wing, should I adjust the positioning to share the gap at the root of the wing? The downside is that this will make the gap pretty tight in the middle of the wing. I've seen warped wings and ailerons before but most with a twist that can be taken out with heat and counter twisting. I looked the aileron over pretty good and it's not twisted but it looks like the leading edge is bowed.

wing_pic1.JPGwing_pic2.JPG

Just to be though, I wanted to say that I've built several 3D planes, from a variety of manufacturers and I went about this process the same as I always do. Push the aileron all the way into the wing. Check for alignment at the root and tip of the wing. Then, deflect the surface in both directions to achieve the proper hinge gap to allow for full deflection without binding. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks

gyro

GSN Contributor
I started building my 3DHS Extra 330sc and notices an issue on one of the wings. When I went to hinge and glue the aileron to the wing, I noticed a pretty significant hinge gap at the tip of the wing. Anyway, I wanted to get this question out there because I'm anxious to have this build for memorial weekend and I know this is a busy time for 3D Hobby Shop. It can take a while to get a response from them sometimes. Anyway, should I be concerned? Will it effect the flight performance? Rather than have one large gap at the tip of the wing, should I adjust the positioning to share the gap at the root of the wing? The downside is that this will make the gap pretty tight in the middle of the wing. I've seen warped wings and ailerons before but most with a twist that can be taken out with heat and counter twisting. I looked the aileron over pretty good and it's not twisted but it looks like the leading edge is bowed.

View attachment 8883View attachment 8884

Just to be though, I wanted to say that I've built several 3D planes, from a variety of manufacturers and I went about this process the same as I always do. Push the aileron all the way into the wing. Check for alignment at the root and tip of the wing. Then, deflect the surface in both directions to achieve the proper hinge gap to allow for full deflection without binding. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks

If the trailing edge is straight, I'd center it in the cut out as best you can, and roll with it. Make sure you seal the hinge line, and I don' think you'll ever notice. Make sure you have the ability to fully deflect both up and down before you glue.

-G

If the trailing edge is straight, I'd center it in the cut out as best you can, and roll with it. Make sure you seal the hinge line, and I don' think you'll ever notice. Make sure you have the ability to fully deflect both up and down before you glue.

-G

Looked at the trailing edge tonight and it's bowed. I took a picture and went ahead and sent an email of to 3DHS to see what they could do for me.
wing_pic3.JPG

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
I looked the aileron over pretty good and it's not twisted but it looks like the leading edge is bowed.

I'd be very confident of pulling out that bow put by heating and re-shrinking the covering. These open unbraced balsa structures are quite flexible when uncovered, it's the covering that stiffens them up so you can pull them all over the place whan you shrink the covering, which no doubt explains how it got that shape in the first place.
The way I'd go about it is:

1. Put the aileron leading edge down on a flat surface, get a helper to press the aileron down against the table until it's straight (or use weights). If you cant quite get it straight dont worry, just keep the pressure on, when heat is applied it will 'give'.
  2. Now run an iron (heat pre set to whatever it takes to shrink, but not hot enough to melt!) over the covering (try not to burn your helpers fingers). Pull out any creases that may have formed and get the covering drum tight.
This may well get it close enough but if any significant bow remainst add a bit of (approx) 1/8" foam or balsa under the high point of the bow so that when the aileron is pressed down a slight reverse bow is created. Re-shrink the covering again.

I'm sure you will get it out this way. After pulling the bow out best double check that you havent inadvertantly shrunk a twist in;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be very confident of pulling out that bow put by heating and re-shrinking the covering. These open unbraced balsa structures are quite flexible when uncovered, it's the covering that stiffens them up so you can pull them all over the place whan you shrink the covering, which no doubt explains how it got that shape in the first place.
The way I'd go about it is:

1. Put the aileron leading edge down on a flat surface, get a helper to press the aileron down against the table until it's straight (or use weights). If you cant quite get it straight dont worry, just keep the pressure on, when heat is applied it will 'give'.
  2. Now run an iron (heat pre set to whatever it takes to shrink, but not hot enough to melt!) over the covering (try not to burn your helpers fingers). Pull out any creases that may have formed and get the covering drum tight.
This may well get it close enough but if any significant bow remainst add a bit of (approx) 1/8" foam or balsa under the high point of the bow so that when the aileron is pressed down a slight reverse bow is created. Re-shrink the covering again.

I'm sure you will get it out this way. After pulling the bow out best double check that you havent inadvertantly shrunk a twist in;)

WOW! Thanks for all the great advice! If I encounter the problem in the futire I'll have to give it a shot. I've done the same thing for a slight twist in a surface but never a bow. Fortunetly for me though, Noll responded to my email already and said they'll take care of it, so a new wing is on the way. I have to give them a big thumbs up for how fast they responded to my emails.