• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Aerobeez 48" Mini Banshee!!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Aerobeez has came out with an awesome assortment of newly revamped versions of their EPP Hybrid foamies so when I heard about it, I knew I had to have one. Lo and behold, they had a mini version of their popular 91" Slick 540 'Banshee' (which so happens to be my favorite airplane in my hangar), so of course, I had to have it!!!

Here is the link to the Mini Banshee webpage, where you can purchase it as well as the recommended accessories:

http://aerobeez.com/48-Slick-540-Mini-Banshee-EPP-Full-Fuse-Electric-Aerobatic-RC-Plane.html

If you would like to check out all of the other new hotness arrivals, check here:

http://aerobeez.com/Newest-and-Hottest/

I am going to try and be as clear and concise as possible with this particular build to help anybody out who has not yet assembled an Aerobeez EPP airplane. They aren't difficult and there isn't a whole ton of steps, but this should help clear up any confusion one may have.

Onto the build. Airplane specs:

Wingspan: 48"
Length: 45.15" (without spinner)
Wing area : 523.9 sq.in
Flying weight: 40oz-45oz

Here is what I will be building my airplane with:

-Turnigy Aerodrive 3542-1000Kv outrunner
-Falcon 13x6.5 electric wood propeller
-Hitec Energy 40 ESC
-Thunder Power ELITE 3s 2200 55C LiPo
-Hitec HS-5065MG servos

As always, if you have any questions then please feel free to ask away, I will try and answer them as best as I can.

More to come so please stay tuned :yesss:

20160816_124054.jpg

20160816_123945.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Will be following this one, looked at the site very interesting. For less than 500 complete flying aeroplane not bad. Very interested will follow the build. Thanks.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I've found a couple more motors in my supply, each are 35mm and 1400kv so at least I have a few motors to play with :)

ericrs

70cc twin V2
I just run across these, and they look like a really cool plane. Interested in a flight report when the time comes, and the build also. All I have is 50cc and larger, been thinking about a small quick and easy plane to toss around.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I just run across these, and they look like a really cool plane. Interested in a flight report when the time comes, and the build also. All I have is 50cc and larger, been thinking about a small quick and easy plane to toss around.

I've flown the 38" Slick, 48" Extra, and 55" Edge, they all fly phenomenal. Aside from the 38" (it flies like a big foamy), the 48" and 55" fly like much bigger airplanes. The plywood and full airframe design give the airplane more momentum entering maneuvers so they tumble better and recover easily. I've never seen a 48" foamy do a pop top like a giant does :oblong:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Spent some time laying the parts out last night and doing some initial prepping for assembly. The first thing you always want to do with a new airplane is lay out all of the parts to make sure you have everything. If you find something is missing then please give a call or send an email to Aerobeez and they will help get you straightened out.

The parts all come double boxed for protection and sealed inside of their own bags and taped in place. Very secure for shipping!
20160816_190948.jpg

Lay everything out on a table and inspect all of the parts to ensure nothing is damaged. My airplane was pretty much damage free so I could move straight onto parts inventory.
20160816_192148.jpg

The hardware package is very complete with this airplane. Carbon fiber main landing gear legs, lightweight foam main wheels, axles, complete tailwheel assembly, ball links, turnbuckles, assorted screws for misc. parts, CA hinges, carbon control horns with carbon servo horn extensions, velcro with adhesive backing, a velcro strap, some zip ties and plywood inserts for the wheel pants.
20160816_192356.jpg

Cowl and firewall. Note that the firewall comes with thrust alignments built in and can only mount one way.
20160816_192511.jpg

Wheel pants and landing gear cuffs.
20160816_192552.jpg

Rudder, elevator, and horizontal stab.
20160816_192628.jpg

Left and right wing panels and ailerons as well as root extensions for the wings. Please note that the thumb bolts for securing the wing panels to the fuselage are already threaded into the wing at the root.
20160816_192739.jpg

SFG's and carbon wing spar.
20160816_192805.jpg

Last but not least, the fuselage with removable canopy.
20160816_192824.jpg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The very first part of the actual assembly is to punch out some of the excess EPP from the fuselage and cowl (they will punch out by hand easily enough, if you would like you can use a hobby knife to do this process). The excess is there to help factory workers assemble the parts as well as to help stiffen everything up for shipping. They are not needed otherwise and actually prevent you from installing your electronics so go ahead and remove them. They just punch right out.
20160816_192907.jpg

In total, there are 8 pieces that need to be removed from the fuselage.
20160816_193009.jpg

Don't forget the 4 down here (2 on each side).
20160816_193013.jpg

When you're done, you will have a small pile of scrap EPP. I advise keeping it incase you need to patch a hole or make repairs down the road.
20160816_193002.jpg

The cowl needs the same treatment.
20160816_193101.jpg

This plywood plate also needs to be removed from the cowl.
20160816_193132.jpg

Punch out the internal structure- USE CAUTION here, not all of the internal structure is removed, only the center sections! There will be cutouts that you can feel. It should look exactly like the following picture:
20160816_193235.jpg

Once you remove the punchouts from inside, you will also have to remove the center hole and air intake punchouts as well.
20160816_193325.jpg

Save all of the scrap pieces, you can use them for repairs or to make baffling in the cowl to direct airflow over electronics.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Next up we can begin the actual assembly of the airplane.

Here is a basic list of adhesives I will be using:

-GOOP, for joints that need to be flexible.
-BSI Insta Cure +, for filling in joints.
-BSI Insta Cure, for saturating joints and hinges.
-BSI Insta Set, a kicker that is safe for use with almost all materials, we will be using this sparingly.
-Blue threadlocker, for locking bolts in place.

Also, a basic list of the necessary tools:

-Xacto knife with fresh, sharp #11 blades
-Phillips head screwdriver
-Allen keys
-Tape measure
-Sand paper, various grits

BEFORE you begin to install hardware or components, it is important that you go over ALL of the wood to wood and wood to foam joints with thin CA. This will ensure that everything is sufficiently bonded together and won't come apart on you. This is a good practice for all built up airplanes regardless of brand. You don't need to go over everything externally if you don't want, mainly just ensure that the plywood joints are all glued together.

A tip I suggest is to not use an accelerator or kicker here while the CA is drying- let it dry on its own, it doesn't take long and makes a stronger bond.

Okay onto assembly. The first step here is to slip the fuselage over so it's on its back (you may want to use an airplane stand of sorts) so we can work on the landing gear mount. The fuselage has a small slot cut already, you will need to finish cutting the slot open. Cut only one side to give it a cleaner appearance.
20160816_194214.jpg

Fold this flap back and you will find 2 allen head bolts already fitted in place underneath. These are the 2 bolts that secure the main gear legs to the fuselage. Remove them, and then slide in your CF main landing gear legs. Once the gear is in, reinstall the bolts and tighten them down. You can use a small drop of blue threadlocker here if you would like to ensure the bolts don't back out.
20160816_194237.jpg

Pay close attention here, the gear legs have a forward swept motion to them. Make sure this sweep is actually towards the front of the fuselage, otherwise you will run into ground handling issues.
20160816_194512.jpg

That's all for today. More to come tomorrow.
20160816_195231.jpg