• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

News From AMA

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Just arrived via email;

RR1aL7iYc2rXLgcZ5VhuX4tU8n_Qp6Q4gndufshpRAulun4CPLFbdMqhy_sJb9-SU1YEcGB_d4tfcZq1jLpfD04a9VrU=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear AMA members,

We have good news to share. Last night, the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in the House of Representatives passed the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act, which preserves and strengthens the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

We would like to thank Rep. Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania, Chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and Rep. Mark Sanford of South Carolina for their efforts to ensure that this important legislation protects the hobby of flying model aircraft.

The AIRR Act is critical to preserving our voluntary, community-based approach to managing the model aviation community. By strengthening the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, this bill will enhance safety across the recreational community and allow our members, who for decades have flown safely and responsibly within AMA’s community-based safety program, to continue enjoying our hobby without new burdensome regulations.

Among the bill’s provisions, it provides a clear definition of a community-based organization (CBO) and tasks the FAA with developing a process for recognizing qualifying CBOs, both long-overdue tasks for the agency. In addition, the bill makes clear that model aircraft can be used as a teaching tool for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), as well as aeronautics.

The AIRR act is a strong bill that we are proud to support, but Congress isn’t done with it yet. The full House of Representatives still needs to vote on the AIRR Act and the Senate still needs to work on its own version of the bill. AMA has been actively advocating for our members’ interests on Capitol Hill, and we will continue working with Congress on additional changes that could further protect our hobby.

We may need your help in reaching out to members of Congress to urge them to support the Special Rules for Model Aircraft, which provides critical protections for the model aviation community. Remain vigilant and continue to monitor emails, social media, and www.modelaircraft.org/gov for more information and updates.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'm curious to learn more about this, if it really helps us to fly without interference from the FAA or if it just helps the AMA to be the only community based organization that will have authority to organize and represent modelers. If the AMA isn't make our lives easier and if it becomes harder to operate without being in the AMA then we're not really making any progress.

This will take a little bit or research and reading to figure out.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I'm curious to learn more about this, if it really helps us to fly without interference from the FAA or if it just helps the AMA to be the only community based organization that will have authority to organize and represent modelers. If the AMA isn't make our lives easier and if it becomes harder to operate without being in the AMA then we're not really making any progress.

This will take a little bit or research and reading to figure out.

I agree with you Bart. But I'm still concerned that the language in the E-mail is challenging the FAA on a way to "recognize"
CBO's. FAA can just reply and say already done through registration. Regardless. My credit card will continue to be declined cuz I'm a fugitive:devil-dance:.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I guess this is up for interpretation as is most anything now days. I take it as a more pronounced definition of us modelers and our exemption from the FAA's regulation. But it really does not matter for if the FAA still insist on saying they have control and will fine those not registered I am not willing to risk the legal fee's in defense of such. It is clear to me and numerous attorneys, including a couple of FAA's attorneys, associated with this issue that the FAA has no authority towards modelers operating within the boundaries of Section 336.
Also, as it currently stands the AMA "is" the only CBO we have and I would prefer them over the feds any day. But I do not read it as they are grabbing for power but rather stating that with a clearer definition of a CBO the current and future law would be better defined in and of itself.

D
I guess this is up for interpretation as is most anything now days. I take it as a more pronounced definition of us modelers and our exemption from the FAA's regulation. But it really does not matter for if the FAA still insist on saying they have control and will fine those not registered I am not willing to risk the legal fee's in defense of such. It is clear to me and numerous attorneys, including a couple of FAA's attorneys, associated with this issue that the FAA has no authority towards modelers operating within the boundaries of Section 336.
Also, as it currently stands the AMA "is" the only CBO we have and I would prefer them over the feds any day. But I do not read it as they are grabbing for power but rather stating that with a clearer definition of a CBO the current and future law would be better defined in and of itself.
o

witchfingers

70cc twin V2
By the time the nazi representatives add their little snippets and pork to it, it will have nothing to do with model aviation. It could end up with more restrictions on our freedom and the current president would gladly be all for that and sign it into law.