• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Not using the manufacturers recommended set up for an electric motor

Rich B

50cc
In need of some education here concerning electric motors.

If a manufacturer states that a motor is rated to use a certain cell/voltage rating i.e. 10S lipo battery; and you choose to run a 8S on the motor. What happens to the motor watt output, KV, amps, etc.

Does this damage the motor?

When using a lower than suggested cell battery would that require you to prop up or down to achieve the suggested amp/watt of the motor?

Last, I assume by using a lower cell battery flight times would go down as well?

Appreciate any help.

gyro

GSN Contributor
In need of some education here concerning electric motors.

If a manufacturer states that a motor is rated to use a certain cell/voltage rating i.e. 10S lipo battery; and you choose to run a 8S on the motor. What happens to the motor watt output, KV, amps, etc.

Does this damage the motor?

When using a lower than suggested cell battery would that require you to prop up or down to achieve the suggested amp/watt of the motor?

Last, I assume by using a lower cell battery flight times would go down as well?

Appreciate any help.

using less or more cell count usually won't damage the motor, so long as the prop adjustments match. One concern when "propping up" would be not to exceed the recommended load on the bearings. For example, I wouldn't jump from a manufacturer recommended 10s setup with a 16" prop, and go to an 6s setup and 20" prop.

However, going from 10s to 8s, and going up in prop 2" shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, you prop up/down to get close to recommended amp/watt ratings.

No, flight times won't necessarily go down, as you're still intending to put about the same rough amperage load on the batteries, right?

Rich B

50cc
Yes, you prop up/down to get close to recommended amp/watt ratings.

No, flight times won't necessarily go down, as you're still intending to put about the same rough amperage load on the batteries, right?

I just figured if someone was running 8S 5000mah vs 10S 5000mah the flight time would go down with loosing 2 cells. I assumed that by going from 10S to 8S the load on the batteries would increase to get the same watt/amp that the 10S would normally run the motor at. All new to me, thanks for the information so far. I hope I am making sense.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just figured if someone was running 8S 5000mah vs 10S 5000mah the flight time would go down with loosing 2 cells. I assumed that by going from 10S to 8S the load on the batteries would increase to get the same watt/amp that the 10S would normally run the motor at. All new to me, thanks for the information so far. I hope I am making sense.

Yes, you will loose time if you do that...
Most times if a plane balances with 10s5000, you'd use 8s6000 or such.

But yes, given same mah with less cells, you loose capacity

I disagree. For the same given power required flight times will go down. It is common sense and science. Wattage and amperage are not the same thing. When someone said you prop up and down to get the same amp/watt ratings, that is not a correct way to phrase it. It should be prop up or down to get same WATTS ONLY. Power = amp x voltage or the change of energy over time. If the same power is required a lower voltage will increase amperage. For example a 10s will have 42V. If your required power is say 4200 watts you would draw 100 amps. If you use 8s or 33.6 V you will need 125 amps which drains the battery faster.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Because the motor has less voltage to work with, current flow will go down given the same prop. If a manufacturer calls for 10s, why not use a 10s setup? Flight times will still vary on your throttle use. Some use more throttle with less cells, so flight time may go down because amperage draw can remain higher than you might use with a higher powered setup that you won't have to use as much throttle with.