• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Off the beaten path... But I have that itch again!!

Bipenut53

150cc
Ok so how many of you started in control line like I did? When I was a kid, my dad got me interested in model airplanes with control line airplanes. It was 1970, I was 8 years old, dad brought home a CL kit and said "Son, this is what I did when I was a kid and I really liked it." In fact at that time he had been building a large "Ringmaster Stunt" and was getting close to finishing it and knew he would not be able to keep my little fingers out of it lol. He introduced me by way of a 1/2 a Magician and was powered with the trusty .049 engine. We built that airplane, back then we didnt have Monokote, silkspan clear dope and paint is what we used. It brings a smile to my face every time I think of those days. In 1970 radio controlled airplanes were pretty expensive and the radios were not as good as we have now, many radio failures! We built that little plane and we both maidened our planes the same day! Oh what fun, my airplane flew great with my dad, it didnt make it through the tank of fuel with me, but that was fine!! I didnt really mind because I loved watching dad fly his, I got to hold his plane while it was running until he gave me the signal. I loved coming home with the stink of glow fuel, ringing in my ears from the unmuffeled CL engines. Anyway, I have for the last couple of years been thinking of scratch building another CL plane. Here is a video of a guy, he is kinda nutty but explains it pretty well. I think I would like to do the electric thing with a timer..... I was entertained by this video, maybe you will be too......

[video=youtube;P4rqILAs_xo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4rqILAs_xo[/video]

Let me know if you think I'm crazy or not lol.....

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Your crazy no question! Pretty cool stuff Biper. I could not imagine doing that now. Back when I was a kid that probably would of been the most awesome thing ever, but now.. No way. To spoiled on what we have to do this hobby, but that just me. Still cool video and thanks for posting it up.

Bipenut53

150cc
Your crazy no question! Pretty cool stuff Biper. I could not imagine doing that now. Back when I was a kid that probably would of been the most awesome thing ever, but now.. No way. To spoiled on what we have to do this hobby, but that just me. Still cool video and thanks for posting it up.

Actually it is a lot more fun than you think [MENTION=3728]Bushwacker[/MENTION], its not about turning circles all the time and even if you do you dont get dizzy like you think. Like the guy says though, you are committed once you take off, no stopping until you run out of fuel, battery timer stops, or you crash. I love doing wing overs! I crashed a lot of airplanes trying to see how low to the ground I could get before I pull out of it.... not much different now... How low can you get.....

dontag

30cc
Bipenut I to started in control line on the early 70's I was around 10. My dad flew radio control and I went with him every Sunday. I have the vivid memorys of fresh cut grass and glow fuel. My first control line plane was a pt trainer by Cox. My dad brought it home from Kmart. Had a Blast with it. Or I should say a few of them. I got a ringmaster and build it but never flew it. My dad bought me a radio control plane it was foam one dont remember what is was. But I due remember that the control surfaces would keep fluttering until you hit the stick. The good old days.

Bipenut53

150cc
Bipenut I to started in control line on the early 70's I was around 10. My dad flew radio control and I went with him every Sunday. I have the vivid memorys of fresh cut grass and glow fuel. My first control line plane was a pt trainer by Cox. My dad brought it home from Kmart. Had a Blast with it. Or I should say a few of them. I got a ringmaster and build it but never flew it. My dad bought me a radio control plane it was foam one dont remember what is was. But I due remember that the control surfaces would keep fluttering until you hit the stick. The good old days.
[MENTION=4402]dontag[/MENTION] it sounds like we parelled a bit there, I had a couple Ringmasters, great plane! I had one of those PT-19's but I could never get the darn thing to fly, the wing popped off so many times that it finally broke the plastic wing holders on the fuse. You are right great memories indeed! I didn't get into rc until after I had kids... A buddy of mine was flying them and I told him you have to teach me how to fly... All over after that lol