• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

On this Day in Aviation – Happy Birthday Jimmy Doolittle

GSNadmin

Staff member
Anyone who is interested in aviation knows the name Jimmy Doolittle. A Congressional Metal of Honor recipient, Doolittle was a true American aviation pioneer.

James Harold “Jimmy” Doolittle was born on this day, December 14, 1896, and became a Reserve officer in the USAAC. Doolittle was recalled to active duty during World War II and was awarded the CMH award for his courage and leadership as the commander of the Doolittle Raid. This long range retaliatory air raid on Tokyo was executed only weeks after the devastating Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor.

He was eventually promoted to Lieutenant General and commanded the 12th Air Force over North Africa, the 15th Air Force over the Mediterranean, and the 8th Air Force over Europe. He passed away on September 27, 1993.

Model Airplane News - The #1 resource for RC plane and helicopter enthusiasts featuring news, videos, product releases and tech tips.

Continue reading...

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
I had the opportunity to meet him in the 80's. I worked at TRW as a young engineer, and he was Chairman of the Board so he was my super, super, super boss. In the lobby of E2, he was just standing there next to a LEM decent engine that saved Apollo 13, and a Minuteman III Mark 12A reentry vehicle, and I just looked to my left and recognized him, then looked at his badge. I saw Doolittle, (and was like holy effing crap) I asked him if he preferred "Dr" (he got the first Ph.D in aerospace engineering from MIT), or "General", and he stuck out his hand and said: "Jimmy, please", he seemed like a super nice guy. He also won the Thompson races before the war and got a Congressional Medal of Honor during it. Wow, can anyone do anymore in one life?

Last edited:

WMcNabb

150cc
Jimmy also won the Schneider Cup in 1925, racing a Curtiss R3C biplane, the Bendix Trophy in the Laird Super Solution, the Thompson Trophy in 1932, flying the Gee Bee R-1, and promoted aviation throughout the country as an executive for Shell Oil, flying several aircraft, including the Travel Air Mystery Ship.

Amazing career!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg