• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

One of our own get's a little Press!

SleepyC

150cc
I was forwarded a news article that appears in the Lima Ohio News. PRETTY SWEET! (And nice choice of shirts JAMES!!!)

Radio control airplanes take fun to new heights

Lima Area Radio Kontrol Society holding fly-in this weekend

First Posted: 8:15 pm - July 24th, 2015 Updated: 8:51 pm - July 24th, 2015. - 291 Views

By Craig Kelly - ckelly@civitasmedia.com

web1_LARKS3.jpg

James McCormick, of Kenton, prepares his plane for the 17th annual Big Bird Fly In taking place this weekend.
Amanda Wilson | The Lima News
web1_LARKS4.jpg

Eric Johnson, of Ottoville, prepares his plane for the 17th annual Big Bird Fly In taking place this weekend.
Amanda Wilson | The Lima News
web1_LARKS11.jpg

UNOH student and Pennsylvania native Eric Andersen flies a radio control aircraft Friday at the Lima Area Radio Kontrol Society airfield northwest of Elida.
Craig Kelly | The Lima News
web1_LARKS21.jpg

James McCormick, of Kenton, displays one of his model aircraft at the Lima Area Radio Kontrol Society airfield northwest of Elida.
Craig Kelly | The Lima News

ELIDA — Their feet may still be on the ground, but inside they’re soaring.

“I’ve just always been amazed with flight,” Allen Omlor said. “It’s kind of an addiction.”

That is the collective attitude of the pilots taking part in the 17th annual Lima Area Radio Kontrol Society Big Bird Fly-in, held just off state Route 309 northwest of Elida. Omlor, the president for LARKS, said this event brings out a variety of aircraft, with 20 to 40 pilots participating.

“There’s just about everything you can imagine, everything from a couple of pieces of foam put together with an electric engine on it all the way up to 70 and 80 percent scale airplanes,” he said. “You’re talking just about big enough to get into it yourself and go.”

Radio controlled aircraft has made great strides over the years, Omlor said.

“Back in the day, it used to be that you got a block of wood and some sticks and put it together, but now, for the most part, the fuselage, wings and everything is built, and you basically have to assemble it and put the electronics and motor in,” he said.

Along with the thrill of flying, Omlor enjoys catching up with other flying enthusiasts, some of whom come from as far away as Indianapolis or Youngstown.

One of those enthusiasts is James McCormick, of Kenton, whose fascination with aircraft runs in his blood.

“My grandpa started doing this in the 1930s when he was a little kid,” he said. “When he got back from Vietnam, he taught my dad to do it, who taught me to do it. I’ve been doing this since I was 5 years old, and I’m 28 now.”

McCormick builds many of the aircraft in his collection not from kits but from wood, a laboring task that can yield many rewards.

“It’s the feeling of completion of a creation,” he said. “When you get to see something that you created with your own hands flying through the air, it’s a feeling that can’t be beat.”

The free event, which run through Sunday, including a movie showing Saturday evening, is great for the entire family, McCormick said.

“It’s cool, especially for kids,” he said. “When they come out and see these big toy airplanes sitting there, and then all of a sudden they’re flying and doing some crazy gyrations, and they look there with their mouths hanging open, it’s great.”

Reach Craig Kelly at 567-242-0390 or on Twitter @Lima_CKelly.

Source: Lima Ohio News Artcle: See it HERE

Bipeguy03

150cc