• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Optical Kill Switch as On/Off?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Was ordering radio/receiver switches this morning and thought about using an optical kill switch AND an on/off switch for the ignition battery.

I'm thinking the second on/off isn't necessary since the optical kill switch is an on/off switch.

The wiring would need a 'y' just before the battery for charging but is anyone already doing this? Never thought about it, just did it a certain way and kept doing it that way each time.

Thanks!

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The Techaero and RCEXCELL has to have a common ground, but, something like the Smart fly fiber optic kill does not. Just go with the Tech Aero and forget about it, I run them in all my planes and use to have the external switch as well but have even dropped them in the last couple years. Actually I have been leaving switches for the dual battery pin flag, much cleaner and simpler.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I use two switches with charging jacks on my H9-260 and I will on my Yak 55 as well. I don't have an optical kill switch on the 260 yet, but I am going to add one to the plane when I put one in the Yak. I am going to put the optical kill switch on a separate channel in both planes and activate them by the trainer switch on my 14MZ. I like the idea of physically turning off both batteries and just use the optical switch in "emergency" situations.

WMcNabb

150cc
For ignition, I’m using both a conventional on/off switch as well as a Tech Aero IBEC which is turned on and off from a knob on my transmitter. Running two batteries thru a Spektrum Powersafe receiver with yet a third switch, and no separate battery for ignition.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
For ignition, I’m using both a conventional on/off switch as well as a Tech Aero IBEC which is turned on and off from a knob on my transmitter. Running two batteries thru a Spektrum Powersafe receiver with yet a third switch, and no separate battery for ignition.

I'm not that brave! Not ready to have the same batteries running the receivers, servos, and ignition! I'm a :dancing-chicken:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I have run the Smart-Fly, Tech Aero, Rcexel, and even my own I made. All with great success. I have found the simplest and easiest way
keeping things light is running everything from the battery or batteries. Personally I like the Rcexel the best for economy and reliability.
Any ignition noise problems I have ever had always stemmed through the plug caps or a broken ground to case in the ignition module itself. Never have I had an issue using just the battery or batteries to power everything. But to each their own.....Always do what you feel most comfortable with.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
4 cell NiMH for the ignition with the kill switch as the on/off switch and dual antique on/off switches for the batteries! To the workshop!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
+1 for the Tech Aero Ultra IBEC. It has an optio isolator and redundant filters in place and saves a bunch of weight eliminating the need for an extra battery and switch thus eliminating that failure point.