• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport PAU 27% Pitts Challenger Build/Review

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Here we go folks, the site is smokin' along and SleepyC's smiling again so let's get the PAU 27% Pitts Challenger onto the worktable.

It's been a long time since I've treated myself to something new so if you see me smiling a lot in the videos, that explains it. We've got a low time DA-50 for this airplane and a box of brandy new MKS servos so it ought to go together pretty quickly and be a joy to fly.

Construction is all balsa and plywood with fiberglass wheel-pants and cowling. There are no flying wires to assemble.

Recommended engine range is 40cc to 60cc and there are examples of it flying with electric motors so an e-conversion isn't out of the question.

Servo power requirements are 70/100/100 oz-in for the ailerons/elevators/rudder respectively. If you opt for a 50 or 60 cc engine then servos closer to 180 oz-in would be wise with more speed for the ailerons and torque for the rudder never being a bad idea. There are four aileron servos, two elevator, and one each for the rudder and throttle.

PAU's website is found at www.flyPAU.com and the product page for this particular ARF is at
http://flypau.com/5060cc-c-1_4/27-pitts-challenger-p-13.html

The build manual can be found here.
http://flypau.com/html/challenger/pitts1.pdf

Not quite an unboxing video but it shows the contents being taken from the box. :yesss:

thepamster

70cc twin V2
Oh yeah, I am subbed to this. I almost bought one one of those but bought a GP Pitts M12 instead. I thought the PAU had too much red, and not crazy about the Bulldog scheme of the other one, but with those graphics on your red one, it really looks awesome.
I also like how PAU gives you the hardware that you normally would go buy anyway to replace the crappy stuff that often comes with other arfs.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Nick (www.nachoscheese.net) was trying to keep with the original Oracle Challenger's simple white/red scheme while also getting a little crazy with the GSN bling. I think he nailed it!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Thanks guys, it's looking good so far. I just ordered an Ohio Superstars Haigh style tail wheel for it just to complete the Pitts look since many full scale Pitts' have the Haigh locking tail wheels.

A correction to the 1st video (I'll include this in the next video as well), I'm so used to the wings plugging in to the sides of the fuselage that when I made the video yesterday evening I made a mistake. The wings halves for the uppers and lowers are joined together during assembly and so they actually extend to the centerline of the fuselage making that eight or so inches of wing trailing edge without ailerons more like 4 inches that is actually in the airflow. So, the ailerons come in closer to the fuselage than I stated making it more likely the airplane can do some 3D flying. I'm sure at some point someone other than me that can actually 3D with confidence will fly the plane and we'll see how it does but I misspoke when I was looking at the ailerons.

Bart

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"

Attachments

• donnie-ultimate.jpg
    donnie-ultimate.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 370