• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Permatex

Let me start by saying I love this site. Now onto the question for the experts. One of my gaskets for one of my mufflers on my DLE 111 is bad and leaking. I am going to try and use Permatex height temp gasket maker. How much should I put on,the package says to use a 1/16 to 1/4 inch bead. That seems like a lot. I am afraid it will Squeeze into the exhaust port. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks

Adam

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Most the mufflers that come with the engines from Asia have crude castings and the boss that forms the flange probably needs to be sanded smooth on a flat surface. I personally would use a new gasket and permatex shellack. High temp silicone is ok too so just coat a new gasket with it sparingly.

It may do you well to inspect the cylinder exhaust port face. It may need a little surface clean up as well.

Many methods work well and you could use any of them with success. I have always made sure mating surfaces are clean, flat and fastened securely with clean bolts (threads) and even going as far to bottom tap the threads in the cylinder. I use red locktite and have had no issues. Remember that red locktite will ash after the engine heat cycles and is not that hard to remove the bolts when the time comes.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
49dimes;17848 wrote: Most the mufflers that come with the engines from Asia have crude castings and the boss that forms the flange probably needs to be sanded smooth on a flat surface. I personally would use a new gasket and permatex shellack. High temp silicone is ok too so just coat a new gasket with it sparingly.

It may do you well to inspect the cylinder exhaust port face. It may need a little surface clean up as well.

Many methods work well and you could use any of them with success. I have always made sure mating surfaces are clean, flat and fastened securely with clean bolts (threads) and even going as far to bottom tap the threads in the cylinder. I use red locktite and have had no issues. Remember that red locktite will ash after the engine heat cycles and is not that hard to remove the bolts when the time comes.

+1 :Yup:

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
I don't use the Mfg. supplied gaskets. Just use about a 1/8" bead of red high-temp silicone gasket maker, just SNUG the muffler bolts down and let the silicone cure then tighten the muffler bolts all the way. check bolts for tightness after the first couple runs and you are good to go!

Regards,

Astro

Jedijody

50cc
Throw the gaskets away. As recommended above, make sure the sealing surfaces are flat using sand paper and a flat surface. Use a thin film (paper thin or less) of Permatex Ultra Copper and Loctite 262 on the bolts, tighten the bolts completely the first time, let it cure for a few hours, done.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Theflyinglineman;17843 wrote: Let me start by saying I love this site. .........

If you're trying to make friends and influence people......it's working! :shaking-hands-smile

Thanks!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Jedijody;17911 wrote: Throw the gaskets away. As recommended above, make sure the sealing surfaces are flat using sand paper and a flat surface. Use a thin film (paper thin or less) of Permatex Ultra Copper and Loctite 262 on the bolts, tighten the bolts completely the first time, let it cure for a few hours, done.

Hey 15cc Noob this is 15cc nub saying good to see ya here.:running-lol: