• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Phoenix Edge 540 .90-1.20?

Abrams

50cc
I'm looking at buying my first 3D gas plane. I'm looking at a Phoenix Edge 540 .90-1.20 with a DLE 20. I have a Cap232 120 with a 40cc engine, so this is not my first gas plane. I'm looking for a little smaller plane for a smaller field I want to fly.

I know nothing about Phoenix. Is this a decent plane for 3D? I've found a good deal on one locally, but I don't know if this is going to do what I want it to do.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Not really, no. Phoenix stuff is OK for budget sport-scale aerobatics but they are generally not designed for 3D flying.

A much, much better choice for a good 3D plane with the DLE 20 is the 70" Velox from 3DHS.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Not really, no. Phoenix stuff is OK for budget sport-scale aerobatics but they are generally not designed for 3D flying.

A much, much better choice for a good 3D plane with the DLE 20 is the 70" Velox from 3DHS.

Great suggestion Cody. I just happen to have sold my 70" Velox with a DLE20 to JKim who is loving it! It's a great little hucker, very stable.

By the way, welcome to the site, and hope you find your perfect 3D plane soon! There are some other less expensive options out there as well, but would need a DLE30 I think.

SnowDog

One of the other problems with the Phoenix planes is that they are generally built VERY heavy.
I too considered one of these when I first got started flying 3D...the local hobby shop was selling them very cheap, but after asking some folks on the forum I decided that would be a waste of money.

Look around for a used 3DHS or EF airframe on the classifieds and see if you can get a good deal that way to keep your initial costs down as opposed to buying a brand new airframe.

Abrams

50cc
Thanks. That is what I needed to know. I'm going to do something a little crazy. I found a .60 size AW Edge 540 and a DLE 20. I think I'm going to put it together with the servos I want for a Volex. Then maybe next year get the airframe I want.

I have to do it a piece at a time. I have a daughter that's getting serious into ballet. She is 11 and has been danced since she was 2. She get her point shoes this year. Ooooohhhh that is gonna cost me.