• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 37% 107" Edge 4 Banger

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I promised a build thread on the airframe for the DLA 128 four cylinder. I looked at so many airframes and honestly, I got so frustrated that I finally took a nudge from a couple of you guys out there. I wanted something with some "WILD" capabilities. I so love a 260. But unfortunately, I really didn't find anything in the Extra line I liked. Plus, I feel an Extra is a really great plane. But I wanted something some characteristics I was familiar with. Hence, my decision on the Pilot 37% Edge. I really "REALLY" like my little 50cc'er and I have had a superb time beating the snot out of it. It just keeps coming back for more. So, enter big purple brother.
107 Edge.jpg

I've got quite a bit accomplished so far with lots of photos to post. I am at a bit of a standstill at present waiting on exhaust. I will get what photos I have posted very soon. I was shooting for a 4th of July Maiden, but I really don't see that happening since my exhaust won't be here till next week. In the meantime, I will just keep plugging away and hopefully have it ready for when Fed Ex brings the last of my parts.

I am really looking forward to putting this one in the air. So far, the 128 has surpassed every expectation I have had. Other than a couple of small hiccups, it has been a pretty good choice so far. I was a little concerned at first, because once the motor box is cut for a four cylinder...it is pretty tough to go back and change your mind for a twin.

So...on with this build. Photos coming.....

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Mounting the 128 proved to be a bit of a frustration. I had forgotten to take into consideration the length of the motor verses the thrust alignment. But after remembering (with a little reminder from @Shayne Epley) I got the 128 mounted and ready for the next step. I mounted the ignition modules on the sides of the motor box as the spark plug leads were just not long enough to make the stretch from the top of the motor box. That, and the fact the top cowl half didn't allow room for the modules. @Taildraggerrc ignition module anti vibration mounts proved to be just the ticket. Not that the little four banger is going to develop much vibration, but I like them and the one on my 260 is doing a superb job so, what the heck. They are extremely lite and add a nice little touch. Wires loomed, fuel and smoke lines ran. One thing for certain, it is pretty busy happenings going on under the hood where that little Ferrari is mounted.
20150628_151955.jpg
20150628_152008.jpg
20150628_152018.jpg
20150628_152037.jpg

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Next I set out to get the fuel and smoke tanks in place. @Taildraggerrc fuel tanks for both. These dudes are really cool and heck, they look like they had me in mind when they made them. PERFECT fit. I also got two fuel dots from @Taildraggerrc. One for the go-go juice and one for the smoke-'em juice. I also picked up some really cool little nylon bushings to route my fuel and smoke lines through. Neat and clean.

20150628_151937.jpg

20150703_182124.jpg
20150703_182150.jpg

20150703_182227.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking good stang! If I may make one suggestion on that throttle servo setup, I know there will not be much vibration but they use a paper thin plywood for the engine box bottom and if it does flex at all it will cause your servo to vibrate forward and back. This could cause a slight erratic throttle trim or engine sound if it does happen. If it does, a simple plywood doubler 1" wide and longer than the servo, even better some balsa tri stock with the widest side gluded down running forward and back will cure it for you. Also hoping you have epoxied the plywood servo mount to the bottom and the screws are just for clamps.

Can wait to see this badboy in the air:yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've got the fuse completely wired now. @Taildraggerrc 20awg wiring and wing harnesses throughout. I've never trusted nor had more faith in wiring than what I do with the TDRC. Sullivan Skywriter smoke pump in place, strapped down and wired/plumbed in. Smart Fly Power Expander Pro and Pin and Flag Fail Safe switch in place. Most everything "snake" skinned and looking pretty nice. The Pilot 37% doesn't offer a lot of room for choices. That is about the only short comings of this airframe I can find. But a little planning and a little luck in execution on placement and everything is tucked nicely inside.

20150628_152056.jpg
20150628_152111.jpg
20150702_192801.jpg
20150702_192818.jpg
20150703_175659.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Since I am focusing on keeping this as lite as possible, I chose to do a little different wiring process. I am using two Fromeco Li-Ion Relion 7.4 5200 mah packs to support the entire airframe. From my experience with my other gassers, I feel very confidant that 10,400 mah's on board should provide me with a good 4 to 5 flights comfortably. I also had my son make me up a special "splitter" harness for the ignition system. Supplying direct power from the SF to "ONE" RCEXCL Opto-Kill Switch feeding both ignition modules. No IBEC, no second ignition kill and no extra weight from ignition batteries. So far, the test runs we've done have proved to be absolutely flawless. The 128 starts usually one to two flips and runs like a scalded dog every time.

20150703_182203.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Looking good stang! If I may make one suggestion on that throttle servo setup, I know there will not be much vibration but they use a paper thin plywood for the engine box bottom and if it does flex at all it will cause your servo to vibrate forward and back. This could cause a slight erratic throttle trim or engine sound if it does happen. If it does, a simple plywood doubler 1" wide and longer than the servo, even better some balsa tri stock with the widest side gluded down running forward and back will cure it for you. Also hoping you have epoxied the plywood servo mount to the bottom and the screws are just for clamps.

Can wait to see this badboy in the air:yesss:
Ah thanks for the input Terry. I actually took that into consideration. Not only is the servo mount epoxied in place, but I have also drilled and set four wood screws to help hold it into place on the bottom of the motor box. With the sides of the motor box being bolted in 14 places, the tri-stock on the inside of the box to the firewall, I am confidant it will be good to go. I will however, keep a watchful eye/ear to the plane for awhile. I had one servo mount come loose on me two years ago. It really sucked. Motor died, dead stick landing, ejected landing gear from plate. Lesson learned...screw them babies in place. LOL. Thank you again....:way_to_go:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
20150630_193623.jpg
20150630_193705.jpg
20150703_175945.jpg
20150703_180104.jpg
20150703_175841.jpg
I accomplished getting the elevator servos installed and pretty much tuned in. Good throws and smooth movement. I like. I took a little time to seal the hinge lines as I do with all my other gassers. I think it just adds to the appeal of an airframe when the hinge lines are sealed up all nice and neat. I still have not completely for certain decided on a pilot dude. But my original plan was to do a really cool "Batman" scheme with some really awesome graphics to match. I wanted to put a "HUGE" golden bat emblem on the bottom of the plane, however I am having trouble finding just the right sized bust, so I may have to hold off on the planned scheme. But in the meantime, I did get a really "AWESOME" dash graphic from B and E graphics. About all I have left now is aileron servos...and then the real pain. Baffling that four banger. Doah!!!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Looks AWESOME Rob . . . . . . .:yesss:

I've never considered myself a big Edge fan, but your new Pilot is looking fantastic. . . . . . . .:fist_pump: