• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Plane Restraint

garlandk

100cc
What are you guys using to hold your plane back while starting? I know if there is someone at the field that is my very first option, but lately the field has been empty with the weather warming up in AZ. I was thinking about doing what I did back at my other club I belong to and that was put two PVC pipes in the ground to hold the wings and then just remove them after the engine started. Curious to know what everyone else is doing when they are at the field by themselves.

And please don't say I don't do anything ;)

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I use one of these from Troy Lapp. Works great!
http://www.GiantScaleNews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102991&highlight=plane+restraint

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I either use a rope/strap that is looped over the vertical stab and under both horizontal stabs; the rope is attached to a glow engine starting stand. I also will also use a homemade stab restraint that is anchored into the ground with 10" spikes but it will fold down after starting to allow the plane to roll forward.

Of course, the first choice is a fellow pilot to hold, when available, when starting. With either of the two restraints, I never run up the engine beyond idle until I'm standing in front of the horizontal stabs.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
And please don't say I don't do anything ;)

I've seen that, makes me cringe. We don't have anything but glow startup tables at our field so I use a 12" stake with a 1" tie strap. The tie strap has an "S" shaped double side carabiner that hooks the rope together. I put it around the tail but only to start, no run-up like that.

IKE

50cc
I have a metal one that stakes in the ground and when you pull back on the plane it folds down, about 40 bucks found on the internet. For use up to 40% aircraft.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
I use two padded poles that sit in pipes in the ground. I use them even if there are people present and willing to hold the plane. Starting poles are not subject to inattentiveness or mistakes.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I built one of these. Works great for starting, although I don't do run-ups against it. For that I stand in front of the stabs. This thing has served me well for a few years now. the center leg goes toward the front of the plane. Big-assed pin driven through the hole in the middle.
DSC07003.jpg
DSC07004.jpg

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I think I have posted these on here, but this is what I use. THe pvc one is good for Glow and electric to 30cc gasser. The rebar one will hold 100cc easily. 50cc I'll leave in restraint and run it up, just going larger now 85cc, and I start it in restraint, and then step over it, and run it up. THere are a few that fold down like the pvc one, on the market, as @IKE mentioned above. Then there is some serious restraints out there

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...Airopult_Model_Airplane_Restraint_Device.html

I don't promote them (above link) or the distributor, others reselling the above link as there own also. I think restraints are a must, but there is a video out there suggesting you start your engine at half throttle (Yes the dummies are using a restraint), but that is not only unsafe but STUPID. Yep I said said it STUPID, sadly I think the video is still floating around out there. I'll let you google it to find, or convo me and I'll shoot you link to video. I don't claim to know very much, but if your engine will not pop with choke on, and then start at idle, you have other issues.

Attachments

• 104_3012.JPG
    104_3012.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 577
  • 104_3013.JPG
    104_3013.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 600
  • 104_3016.JPG
    104_3016.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 590
  • 104_3015.JPG
    104_3015.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 557
  • 104_3014.JPG
    104_3014.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 610

garlandk

100cc
Someone out of Florida made one that was yellow and would hold your tail and it would drop when you moved the plane. I left it out at the field and never took it out and I think someone ran it over because it was broken a month later.