• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

power system overheat problem on 48" extra 330 epp covered balsa model

AKfreak

150cc
Hey guys, do any of you have this model?

I have one, and my flying buddy has one. We both have a major problem. The Motor/ESC over heats and shuts down. I am running a rimfire gpmg 4625 with a castle ice lite 50 on 3s The amp draw on WOT is 52 amps. The ESC is setup with medium throttle response. The LVC is ate to soft at 3.2 volts. And everything else is set to defaults.

I am running a APC 12x6E prop.
I have the same setup in a 48" Carl Goldberg Laser 200 and it never had a problem.

On the beez, the motor is extremely hot even if I don't run it Wide open. It will fly 2 1/2 mis before it shuts down and gives me 6 beeps on the ESC (over heat). I thought maybe it was just my setup but nope.

My friend just dead sticker his today too. He is running a 4s setup cobra motor and ESC. He has a 54" juka (dw foamies) with the same setup and it is fine.

I have removed the two foam plugs in the cowl for airflow. The ESC is mounted on the bottom of the motor box.

Today the plane has overheated and deadsticked ripping the gear out. It's basically ruined. It's a real shame because the plane flys nice.

I really like the plane, but I don't think I'll get another one because the way the cowl is made, it doesn't cool enough.

Has anyone else here had the same problems?

gyro

GSN Contributor
48" extra 330 epp covered balsa problem

Sounds to me like the issue is only with the motor/ESC/prop combo you installed, and not the plane at all. I don't think it's fair to call this an aircraft problem if the motor/ESC/prop combo you chose gets hot, especially when operating at/above the published rating for the ESC...
Castle's we page states their ESCs require at least 5mph of constant airflow over them to work at their advertised rating. Did you ensure there was adequate cooling openings (in/out of the cowl/fuse) prior to flying?

I understand the setup works well on another plane, but every plane is different, and it's not really apples to apples in my eyes. Just my personal opinion though.

I recommend you look for a larger ESC so that it can handle the power needed for this airplane. Also, I've had great experience with the Aerobeez suggested Motrolfly DM-2820 on EPP planes in the past.
For 4s, the 650kv with a 14x7 prop would work nicely, or the same prop on 950kv with 3s.

AKfreak

150cc
The post was to see if others have an overheating problem with that plane. My plane isnt the only one it's happening too at my field. The combo I am using is not being over worked. It will shut down at 25 amps of draw.

I am not bashing the product, it flys nice. I think the way the cowl is designed may be a contributing factor to why it may be over heating.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
The post was to see if others have an overheating problem with that plane. My plane isnt the only one it's happening too at my field. The combo I am using is not being over worked. It will shut down at 25 amps of draw.

I am not bashing the product, it flys nice. I think the way the cowl is designed may be a contributing factor to why it may be over heating.

gotcha, makes sense. To me, just like cutting the outflow vents in the covering on a balsa model, I think it's up to the owner of the plane to do whatever is required to facilitate their specific power system, as some ESCs (larger ones, with a heatsink for example) don't need as much cooling air as others. I suspect that you would need to ensure proper cooling air flow could enter the cowl and exit the fuse to keep your electronics cool. This may require cutting or trimming of some of the EPP.

I updated your thread title to be more specific to the problem, hopefully that helps you. I do hope you'll try and repair this plane, it seems to be a very good flier!

Aerobeez

70cc twin V2
Good day to you AKfreak. I wanted to take a minute here to give a couple of ideas for as to why you are experiencing this issue. From what you said in regards to the amount of amps she is pulling at WOT, I can tell that set up is not correct. The specs for the motor you are using, Great Planes actually do not make any more. Your motor is: 35-36-1500 ...............GPMG4625 That is a .25 size 1500KV motor. Great Planes newer updated motor in the .25 size is now 1000kv. Your pulling 52amps for a 48" 3s plane. The motor KV is too high. Power to weight ratio may work in this set up on other airframes but this EPP Extra is so light, the set up you are using is too strong. 1500kv spinning a 12x6 APC E I believe the motor is over rpm'd for the AUW of the airplane. To answer your question, I personally have 2 of these Extra's that we fly in demos and for daily sport flying. Our 2 team pilots both are flying these as well. The highest KV set up that we use is 1100kv on 3s. A power 15 size motor is more than enough power is you stay with a 3s 2200mAh lipo size. We just concluded a weekend at the RCX Expo where myself and one of our team pilots Tomas flew our 2 all weekend with no issues of over heating. Our other team pilot Santiago Perez took another one of the EPP Extra to Joe Nall and he said he flew that EPP more than anything else the entire week of the event. We have also flown back to back lipo packs without any over heating issues. on my set up, at WOT, I'm not pushing more than 39 amps. Most of us are all using either the Turnigy Aerodrive motors or Hacker in and or around 980kv with a 40amp esc swinging a APC E 13x6.5. That is the set up you see in the videos and on windy days, we may down size the prop and run on 4s. To address your wiping the gears off, I've done that a few times already due to either a lock out or just getting too low. The repair is easy and the EPP where it tears, can be glued back together and almost look like it was never broken. I glue the wood and carbon areas with epoxy first. Then I use the supplied glue or a glue called Foamtac to puzzle the EPP foam back. Hope this information helps as you are right in this is a great flyer. Get her back in the air and if you have any other questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Pete
Team Aerobeez

AKfreak

150cc
Thanks Pete. This plane is cool, but the airframe is really jacked up. I might have to send her to the scrap pile. I wish I would of done a beret job at copmpnet selection. I have used the exact setup in several 48" planes without a single issue.

I guess I was just lucky. Anyways when I have an extra couple of hundred I might get this plane again. Oh and of you ever end up with a customer retirn, factory blem or for any other reason, I could use a new fuse. Green is what I own, but would take an orange one too.