• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Rebuilding the Compy MX2.

As crappy fate would have it, I pulled a wickedly boneheaded move back in Feb of this year.  Manuever gone wrong?  Nope.  Batteries die?  Nope.  Ignition die?  Nope.  Engine die?  Yup.  Reason......  What is 1 thing that they need to run.  Well, we have spark, and he had great air.  Whats that leave.....  Fuel..... 
icon_sad.gif
  I haven't pulled that one in atleast 10 years, but if I did, I wasn't in a harrier 6' off the deck, holding it in the wind.  End result was a broken in 2 fuse, mangled hatch and canopy and a buckled cowl.

I shot off a email to my Compy rep, Big Poppa Andy Kane.  He said that the MX2 was discontinued, I knew that going into it, because everyone wants a Yak or an Extra.  Why?  Don't know why because the MX2 is a really sweetheart of a ship.  I love this machine almost as much as I do my Dalton, in which I have a thread going on here about it.  Anyways, gonna ding me for just shy of $1800 for the rep parts.  Ahh, but ya know...  What the hell!!  It is only $$, and I surely can't take what I make with me when I go.  So, I'm gonna live it up while I'm still kickin!

So, I'll have some parts coming in, in about 2 months.  Kinda hoping that Mike Reynolds chimes in with some of his MX2 pix, as well as my hommie, Hahn.  Hell, for that fact, anyone that has/had a Compy MX2!  Bring it!

So, basically, I'm planning on yanking the guts out of the broken one, and seeing if a buddy of mine would be interested in fixing the fuse for me.  Once I pull the motor off, I need to check the run out on the drive hub and make sure it isn't tweeked.  I'm gonna get the CG set right on the new one, instead of setting it stupidly nose heavy and just flying it like I stole it.  I still have to come up with a spinner.  The wreck didn't even claim my Falcon 31x10W prop!  I was more worried about the prop than the wreck!!

I'll be taking pix and posting them as I go, as well as keeping up in my Dalton thread and a new thread coming once both these barn burners are done.  Something special and very near and dear. 
icon_wink.gif
  All of this will be done in between me taking some time out to visit with the new born boy.  I'm not planning on taking on any outside work this winter, but you just never know who needs what done.

I forgot to mention that the new MX2 will be getting some TDRC goodies as well as some Fuze Protectors.  The idea behind the fuze protectors is to eliminate the wings rubbing the fuse.  Basically, just a thin layer of felt that has a sticky back adhesive.  I need to somehow remove the ones for the stabs.  I want this one to be as clean as I can make it.

Wow.....  That didn't take long......  75 minutes to get the airframe stripped down, minus motor mount studs and fuel tank tray.  It sounds like I may be cutting this tray out, or fab'ing a new one......

Pix coming....  Then the long 2 month wait to get the new fuse.  But, I'll have a hatch to build and get finished up for my Dalton. 
icon_smile.gif

Go to Hong Kong and tell them!! 

But you must be referring to pix........  My S3 took a dump, and had to go get a new phone.  Also got a tablet while I was there too.....  Tablet cost me $1, and then the activation fee......  

Let me load my SD card in the new phone and see what I got.

reyn3545

100cc
Wow... I didn't know you had started the thread already... I better hurry up and finish mine! 

I still have to mount the receivers and batteries, and I'm waiting on new wheels before mounting the wheel pants, but I think that's about it.  I did a quick CG yesterday to see where the batteries should go, and they'll be going right in the back part of the canopy opening. 

This, like yours, is my second MX-2.  I sold my other one after a year or so, and I've missed it ever since.  They are great flying planes, very little coupling, and a HELL of a lot easier to put together than the Pitts! 

Here's a little inspiration for you....

MX-2-a-2.jpg

reyn3545

100cc
By the way.... I was thinking about shooting a clearcoat on the plane before assembling it.  Then someone suggested that I just get an orbital buffer, use a good polishing pad and compound, and THEN put a coat of wax on it, once it's smooth and shiny enough to see yourself clearly in.

It took maybe 2 hours for the whole plane, no wet sanding, and it turned out great!  It doesn't have that "wet" look like a really nice clearcoat job, but for not much money, it looks a LOT better than when the plane arrived.