• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Redwing Rc Mxsr At the Rcflight School

Hey guys ...

He just got this in from Dave at http://www.rcflightschool.com they bought one of Our 30cc MXSR a little While back, and here is what dave has to say about it

Hi Tim.
Sorry about the delay getting back to you, but I wanted to wait until I could give a report on the MXSR. I spent a full day working on the setup and the performance I've been able to achieve a level of handling that exceeds just about everything in the school training fleet. I used the airplane in last week's advanced aerobatic class and each guy stated that because of the performance and convenient size (they fly 100cc and larger back home), each was going to order one for themselves. Indeed, they felt that the airplane flew as well as a 40% without nearly the hassle/expense!
I've optimized the MXSR for precision IMAC style aerobatics using the following setup:
Ail travel/expo: 5/8" / 25%
Elevator travel/expo: 1/16" / 25%
Ruder travel/expo: 2-1/2" / 30%
CG = 1" forward of the edge of the wing sheeting.
I placed a 3/32" shim under the top of the wing recess at the trailing edge to fill the gap and ensure the wing sits at the same angle every time.
I lowered both ailerons 1/16" from neutral (tricks wing into acting like it has positive incidence and thus neutral pitch stability)
I opened up the front of the cowl to expose the entire front of the engine cylinder to improve cooling.
I also installed 1/2" triangle vortex generators 3" in front of the aileron hinge line to help the airplane fly more like it's on rails and provide a more linear control response. Of course, installing thicker ailerons would be more optimum and make the VG's unnecessary, but is obviously not an option with most finished ARFs.
The airplane needed only small rudder-aileron/elevator mixing flying with the above settings.
I will do my best to share with as many people as I can our success with your MXSR. Pics will soon follow!
Thanks!
Dave
www.rcflightschool.com

chadcan

New to GSN!
Do you think you can get some photos of the 1/2" vortex generators? How long are they and where are they positioned on the wing?