• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rotate servos?

quadracer

100cc
I was in my "office" doing some thinking a while ago. I wondered if anyone "rotates" servos, since it seems like the tail servos take quite a bit more beating than the ailerons do. This would make the gear teeth wear faster, and overall strain on them. I did it when I put them in my 72 Extra, but the servos only have about 25 flights on them, so I don't see any benefit in my case...
Anyone else do this periodically?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I was in my "office" doing some thinking a while ago. I wondered if anyone "rotates" servos, since it seems like the tail servos take quite a bit more beating than the ailerons do. This would make the gear teeth wear faster, and overall strain on them. I did it when I put them in my 72 Extra, but the servos only have about 25 flights on them, so I don't see any benefit in my case...
Anyone else do this periodically?

I've contemplated this in the past, but decided the work wasn't worth it. My observation has been that any time you change a servo, you have to readjust the sub trim and re-trim the airplane. Even two identical servos may have a slightly different centering point. Also, I felt like replacing one or two servo gear sets, was better than replacing four, even less often... as it seems the aileron servos never seem to wear.

-G