• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAQ Rudder deflection tips . feel free to add or edit

wedoitall

So i was having problems getting 45 degrees deflection both ways on my rudder. i could get 45+ one way but not the other and the following was a few things i checked to fix my issue. hope it helps.

1. Have you tried adjusting the travel independently in servo setup? If all else fails. set everything on the rudders back to zero and start at the mechanicals and move on from there. Make sure your servo isn't slipping. Oh, the tail wheel bracket- one screw or two? If it's two, take one out so the bracket can swivel a little
2. Make sure there is no binding at the servo end through the fuselage and at the control surface
3. Remove the pull cables. Make sure the servo and arm is centered. Center and tape the rudder. Reattach the cables snug not super tight. If that fails maybe try the longer arm
4.The servo's arm itself may not be perfectly perpendicular in relation to its housing
5. DO make sure you are using the outer-most hole on the servo arm
6. Glued rudder hinges in a little too tight causing the rudder to mechanically bind on one side
7. Check the rudder without the pull pull cables hooked up. Another way to check this is to slowly move the rudder stick and see if the rudder stops moving while you are still movin the stick. If so, you have a mechanical issue somewhere. If not, then the servo and rudder are doing exactly what it is set up to do, and you need to increase end points or dual rates or re center the servo arm or need a longer arm....
8. rudder control horn glued in even as in the same amount sticking out of both side? Even if that is correct you could still have it cocked so that one side is more forward than the other
9. a) is your control horn sticking out on both sides evenly? ( distance from hinge line...) good way to judge it is to deflect rudder until it touches fuse on both sides and measure angle....

b) is your servo arm perpendicular (more or less) to servo? if you need subtrim to straighten servo arm, try reversing it... sometimes it works...

c) is your transmitter dual rates and end points maxed out?
10. Is there any resistance in your pull pull? I had to open up the hole at the tail where the cable comes through (the cut was off and it was hanging up the cable). Also, check your ball joints at the control horns of the rudder, they may be hanging up too.

quadracer

100cc
One way to check for binding; when you move the rudder to full deflection, if it starts to "sing," or hum, it's binding.

gyro

GSN Contributor
When setting up an airplane, I usually move a control to the max deflection I can get before the control surface contacts the airplane or bevel, and than back it off a few percent in my Tx. Then, no buzzing.
I believe this is Joe Smith's technique as well.

wedoitall

i got the buzzing on my rudder.

i also have it on up elevator but not down. i tried to back it off, but when i get to the point of no buzz, im getting poor deflection angles.