Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Scratch built Grumman FM-2 Wildcat

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by flycanic, Feb 10, 2015.

1. flycanic

flycanic 70cc twin V2

IMG_3650.JPG IMG_3651.JPG IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3655.JPG IMG_3658.JPG IMG_3661.JPG IMG_3674.JPG This plane My older brother and I liked a few years ago. I took the plans I bought from RCM plan service, for a 40 size glow plane. My Uncle Bob enlarged the plans and came up with this 105" FM-2 Wildcat cat I helped on building when I went on vacation. He past away last year so Yakman and I will be finishing this in his Honor. The gear he designed from the plans and I did the welding We used square aluminum tubing and brass tubing for the front and rear wing tubes. He designed the captivating bolt system. Plane was started in late1990.
    @Decal Dennis, @49dimes, @bigblueswope, @stangflyer, @Bartman

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    stangflyer likes this.
  2. BalsaDust

BalsaDust Moderator

very nice

3. Pistolera

Pistolera HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!

Subd!!!!

4. bigblueswope

bigblueswope 100cc

That is AWESOME! So looking forward to this build.

flycanic likes this.
  5. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

I'll watch this.

David

flycanic likes this.

6. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

i might be needing a similar set of gear like that if i can sufficiently grow a set and get to making a plan of attack!

what scale does a 105" wingspan make it? and how much of a windmill will it need up front?

flycanic likes this.
  7. SleepyC

SleepyC 150cc

OH
    It will need a motor and prop. Windmills are for Holland. Scheesche.

flycanic likes this.
  8. flycanic

flycanic 70cc twin V2

IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3685.JPG The Engine we were going to use was the OS BGX 1 2 cycle glow, or a Quadra gasses. I just weighed it tonight and the all up frame work and gear came to 17lb. 5.7oz. I am considering an EME 120 for this one. Flying weight I am going to try and keep it some where around 27lb. to 29lb. I we haven't decided how much scale detail we are going to do. Thanks for all the great comments guys. As far as what Scale, I have no clue, I just told My Uncle to size it up to some where over 100" and this is what he came up with 105" FM-2 LOL!! More to come

9. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

Coool.....I've always like those planes. A warbird of that size under 30 pounds would be incredible. Now quit goofing off and get that thing built. :yesss:

flycanic likes this.