• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Setting up SmartFly W/Futaba question ?!

js-rc

70cc twin V2
I'm new at this SmartFly & 40% planes but my first question is about the warning that came with my EQ-10 Turbo unit. It says do not install any of the powersystem RX connections to any Battery Port on the Receiver , so I plugged the #1 wire from the power board to #11 on my Futaba R6014fs rx. It seems to be working ok but just want to make sure it will be ok. So far, on the bench I have the ign. working & tried a couple servos in the # 3 place on the board & they worked. Most of the videos I found are using Spectrum or JR , can't seem to find one using a Futaba 10-C radio like I have. Also using 14 servos & this is an older plane.
Thanks for any advice !!
John

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
John, I'm pretty sure Futaba would be the same as Hitec or any other brand. It is normal instructions for any of the SF products. I use SF boards on all my planes and have had no issues at all. The way the SF boards operate, is they supply redundant power to your rx. maintaining a constant uninterrupted 5.0 volts from the board to the rx. Hence the power supplies from slot A and slot J. They are very easy to set up. Most all rx's now allow redundant power supply. Set up your channels from your rx to the SF, plug whichever channel you want into the most accessible ports on the SF. Your servo leads then go to that corresponding port for each channel. Boom, done. Except to program your surfaces. But that's a given on any radio. By plugging 1 or "A" to your 11 port on your rx. you have basically supplied one lead of the redundant power from the board to the rx. Which is perfectly 100% correct. You can now plug the other red/white/black lead from the board to any other channel of your rx., and now you have redundant power. When you plug your servos into the ports of the SF board, you are supplying them with whatever power your batteries deliver. I.E. 4.8, 6.0, 7.4 etc. I run all HV servos so my batteries of choice are Fromeco 7.4 LiIon. I use two of them. Plugged straight into the board. The SF boards are designed to monitor each battery and use power from each equally. I use no IBECS, no other devices other than a kill switch. Also plugged into the SF. Perfectly clean, simple and pretty much bullet proof. Remember, K.I.S.S. Hope this helps. From the sounds of what you described, you're right on the money. If you have any questions at all, give Bob Ritchie a call at Quest Engineering. (Smart Fly) He is absolutely the nicest guy. He will make sure you're on the right track.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I run a Power Expander Pro with the R6014HS. It also has / supports 10 Channels but since I sold my 10c and now fly the 14sg I run a 4 Ail 2 Flp wing configuration and simply reassign the two flap channels (7&8) for Ele2 Rud2 assignments. The 6014 Rx will physically follow the SF boards in reverse order so simply reverse the "pigtails" so that Channel 1 is AA and 10 is JJ. This is less confusing when setting your programming. If you decide to go for more channels later with a new transmitter like I did you can pick and choose which of those channels will fill the 10 ports of the board. Example.....I omitted channel 9 and used channel 11 instead because of the programming in the 14sg. It assigns channels as follows in the 4 Ail 2 Flp wing configuration...

1-Ail-Port AA
2-Elevator BB
3-Rud CC
4-Ail2 DD
5-Ail3 EE
6-Ail4 FF
7-Flp (Reassigned in programming to Rud2) GG
8-Flp2 (Reassigned in programming to Ele2) HH
9-Omitted not used. No pig tail here.
10- Gear (used for ignition cut off) II
11-Throttle JJ

No problem that AA and JJ (channels 1 and 11) have the power being supplied there. Just do not plug any of the pigtails in to the DG1 or DG2 slots (ch13 and 14) or the battery slot on the receiver. This could put the receiver in DSC (direct servo connection) mode and unbind from your transmitter.

1014150556-00.jpg
1014150557-00.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I run a Power Expander Pro with the R6014HS. It also has / supports 10 Channels but since I sold my 10c and now fly the 14sg I run a 4 Ail 2 Flp wing configuration and simply reassign the two flap channels (7&8) for Ele2 Rud2 assignments. The 6014 Rx will physically follow the SF boards in reverse order so simply reverse the "pigtails" so that Channel 1 is AA and 10 is JJ. This is less confusing when setting your programming. If you decide to go for more channels later with a new transmitter like I did you can pick and choose which of those channels will fill the 10 ports of the board. Example.....I omitted channel 9 and used channel 11 instead because of the programming in the 14sg. It assigns channels as follows in the 4 Ail 2 Flp wing configuration...

1-Ail-Port AA
2-Elevator BB
3-Rud CC
4-Ail2 DD
5-Ail3 EE
6-Ail4 FF
7-Flp (Reassigned in programming to Rud2) GG
8-Flp2 (Reassigned in programming to Ele2) HH
9-Omitted not used. No pig tail here.
10- Gear (used for ignition cut off) II
11-Throttle JJ

No problem that AA and JJ (channels 1 and 11) have the power being supplied there. Just do not plug any of the pigtails in to the DG1 or DG2 slots (ch13 and 14) or the battery slot on the receiver. This could put the receiver in DSC (direct servo connection) mode and unbind from your transmitter.

View attachment 43059 View attachment 43060
Nice lil set up Kelly.

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Thanks very much Stang & Dimes for your reply !! This will help me a lot !! I think first I'll reset the SF & try to put it like Dimes shows. I Think I have a lot better chance of getting it going now. I only have it on the workbench now & not in the plane yet.
You guys sure have been helpful & thanks again !!
John

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Thanks very much Stang & Dimes for your reply !! This will help me a lot !! I think first I'll reset the SF & try to put it like Dimes shows. I Think I have a lot better chance of getting it going now. I only have it on the workbench now & not in the plane yet.
You guys sure have been helpful & thanks again !!
John
You're welcome John. My setups are very similar to Kelly's. I will get you a couple of close ups pictures this evening. They should show you the many variations of setup. All basically straight forward and a breeze to set up.
Rob

js-rc

70cc twin V2
Both of those setups look great to me, ha, I only hope mine will look close to you guys' !!
Well, had a friend come over today & helped me set my SF up . It's now all ready to go in the plane, though first I have to order some long extensions from TDRC. I'm a lot more confident now that I can adjust all the servos then !!
Thanks again guys !!
John