• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Show us your cowl exit air pics

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Please share with us pictures of your cowl exit air exhausts. We all hear that we need 2-3x the outlet as inlet which is tough to do sometimes.

I am finishing up my 83" MXS and while there is a raised tunnel outlet for air it is barely 1x. So I need to cut something else. When cutting an opening in the cannister tunnel is it best to do toward the front by the landing gear just aft of the cowl so that raised tunnel will help with sucking the air out, or at the rear of the canister tunnel? Below pics is what I have so far. Thanks for your help.

2188=1149-photo 1.jpg
2188=1149-photo 1.jpg
2188=1148-photo 2.jpg
2188=1148-photo 2.jpg

Bemeson

50cc
Ohio AV8TOR;2188 wrote: Please share with us pictures of your cowl exit air exhausts. We all hear that we need 2-3x the outlet as inlet which is tough to do sometimes.

I am finishing up my 83" MXS and while there is a raised tunnel outlet for air it is barely 1x. So I need to cut something else. When cutting an opening in the cannister tunnel is it best to do toward the front by the landing gear just aft of the cowl so that raised tunnel will help with sucking the air out, or at the rear of the canister tunnel? Below pics is what I have so far. Thanks for your help.

Wow Ray,

That sure does not look like near enough air exit for the plane, but that is my opinion for what its worth.

Brian

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've got a LOT of gas through my 91" with DA70 and this is what I did to mine. For your's if you don't want to cut out the cowl at all I would open the larger pipe bay behind the gear and install the factory vented plate with a low pressure lip in front of it. Either that or you will probably want to open the pay in front of the gear and have it pretty much wide open. One thing I did with mine since I opened in front of the gear was to install some foam board at an angle to direct air out this hole and mostly close off the rest of the pipe tunnel.

Been working good as you can tell from all the huckfest goo on my plane yet!

attachment.php

2269=1173-_DSC1659.jpg
2269=1173-_DSC1659.jpg

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Terryscustom;2269 wrote: I've got a LOT of gas through my 91" with DA70 and this is what I did to mine. For your's if you don't want to cut out the cowl at all I would open the larger pipe bay behind the gear and install the factory vented plate with a low pressure lip in front of it. Either that or you will probably want to open the pay in front of the gear and have it pretty much wide open. One thing I did with mine since I opened in front of the gear was to install some foam board at an angle to direct air out this hole and mostly close off the rest of the pipe tunnel.

Been working good as you can tell from all the huckfest goo on my plane yet!
That huckfest good gives it personality :)

I am going to open up that portion between the cowl and landing gear and put a deflector as you mention and I am also going to cut back some on that cowl tunnel and put a triangle air dam on it too. I was looking at your triangle deflector and would have thought you would want to reverse it having the slop into the wind.

Thanks