• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Simple, Great Looking Designs

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I'm by no means a pro when it comes to covering. I am looking for a great looking design that is easy to do for my aerobatic plane projects. Any suggestions??

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
No paint for me! Either Monocote or Ultracote. I haven't used Ultracote yet, but I have heard it is way easier and better than Monocote. So on my current project, I plan on trying the Ultracote.

sweetpea

100cc
Both Ultra and Mono are good. Ultra has issues if you apply to much heat with shrinking uneven edges but it covers large openings in balsa better. Mono requires more pulling and tacking and physical stretching.

I prefer the sheen of Mono and the ease of laying colors on top of each other without shrinkage from too much heat. Everyone has a preference.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the info on covering gents. I am also looking for actual schemes to use on the planes that are easy to do. I wouldn't be able to do an awesome flame pattern or similar...

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Both Ultra and Mono are good. Ultra has issues if you apply to much heat with shrinking uneven edges but it covers large openings in balsa better. Mono requires more pulling and tacking and physical stretching.

I prefer the sheen of Mono and the ease of laying colors on top of each other without shrinkage from too much heat. Everyone has a preference.
It is so odd that both Mono and Ultra have their own characteristics. I actually prefer Ultra because it lays down so easily. Mono does take a little more "manly" stretching, but it also can lay down well. Mono does seem to allow layers with much easier application. Ultra is so "finicky" and you really have to watch it, like sweetpea mentioned. Mono doesn't seem to eat "Xacto" blades quite as quickly as Ultra. But bottom line, everyone does have a preference and it is what you feel most comfortable with. While Ultracote gives a very durable and brilliant finish, Mono does have some very bright "sheens" to the colors.

What kind of schemes are you looking for? Simple and basic patterns? Something a little more "enthusiastic"? Lines, squares, checks? When I did the recover on my 260, I did template duplicates, cut by hand and layed them section by section. Time consuming but end result was very pleasing. This is Ultracote by the way.

260 fly over.jpg 20131106_191421.jpg 20131106_191528.jpg 20131029_184806.jpg 20131029_200241.jpg 20131029_211843.jpg fin and turtle deck.png

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Nice lines! I think I could do the large checkerboard. I would probably shy away from your top design! That looks awesome but out of my league. Unless there is an online clinic to watch extensive video on how to do it well:)