Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

    We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!


3D So I have a Carden Fetish.....

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by capthis, Apr 12, 2016.


Is this dude completely crazy?

  1. Completely insane in the membrane...

    3 vote(s)
  2. A little off his rocker

    5 vote(s)
  3. Nahh this dude's smart!

    2 vote(s)
  4. Haha, I always wanted to hoard stuff too but the wife won't let me.

    2 vote(s)
  5. Capthis for President!

    6 vote(s)
  6. Cappy should buy Carden Aircraft!!!!!!

    12 vote(s)
  1. capthis

    capthis 70cc twin V2

    So as the title says I have a Carden fetish. I just love them!!! So with that said I'm going to show you my current 100cc Yak rebuild.

    It started as a cheap airframe I bought with Carden wing bags really cheap on the return home trip from Toledo this year. Apparently it had gone through a corn field and got pretty banged up.

    Here's what I started with.

    Attached Files:

    orthobird likes this.
  2. capthis

    capthis 70cc twin V2

    So after stripping the covering, I started by fixing the worst wing. Pretty easy to fix, just cut out the old and busted and replace with new foam, sand to shape and glue in with new leading edge. I then went back and sheeted with 1/16th Balsa. I use Gorilla Glue, and after a lot of sanding, and a little filler this wing looks like new again.

    Attached Files:

  3. capthis

    capthis 70cc twin V2

    The fuse was pretty busted up and it even bent the wing tube. I started on the fuse piecing it back together, outing the cross braces back in, and finally cutting out busted up wood and replacing with new. Again After it's all fixed a little sanding and filler has the fuse looking like new again.

    Attached Files:

  4. capthis

    capthis 70cc twin V2

    I had hoped to be able to order a new cowl, but Dennis was out of stock on it. So I knew then I had to fix the one I had. I started by thoroughly cleaning it with hot soapy water, and any kind of detergent I could find to get it clean. I then flaked off as much of the busted paint as I could.

    Once I had it clean and dry, I took thick CA and in a few places pieced it back together. Once that was done I cut cloth and used Z poxy on the inside to repair the busted parts.

    Attached Files:

  5. capthis

    capthis 70cc twin V2

    I then took the random orbital sander with 100 grit and sanded cowl down to primer. I then filled any areas with glazing putty and of course it took a couple different tries on the inside to get everything fixed as the cowl was pretty busted up.

    Attached Files:

  6. capthis

    capthis 70cc twin V2

    This brings me up to date on the progress so far. After lots of coats of primer and lots of wet sanding I started to put some color to it. The top part looks pretty good, but the bottom is going to require some more sanding before I am happy with it. I am using Rustoleum in the can as I have had good results with it in the past. I build my airplanes to fly but I also want them to look good and I find the Rustoelum if applied right does a great job, but obviously isn't as nice as automotive paint.

    I honestly don't like painting much as I am impatient, but I know that patients pays off here in the end.

    Attached Files:

  7. capthis

    capthis 70cc twin V2

    Here is the last Carden I completed. It is a 100cc Extra 330s I picked up a few years ago very beat on. It took a lot of work, but I am pleased with the results.

    Also if anyone has any input I am always welcome to suggestions, or if anyone wants any more clarification by all means just ask. To date I have 16 Carden airframes in various states and conditions. My end goal is to have the Edge 540, Extra 330S, Cap 232, and Yak 54 in both the 150cc and the 100cc sizes all ready to fly and looking good. I have all those airplanes, I just gotta get them all finished! :)

    Attached Files:

  8. capthis

    capthis 70cc twin V2

    Oh and I just picked this 35% cap 232 up over the weekend, so I hope I have enough Parts now to refinish one really nice Cap 232. It's kind of hard to find parts for these as they haven't been produced in a long time.

    Attached Files:

  9. BalsaDust

    BalsaDust Moderator

  10. Bartman

    Bartman Defender of the Noob!

    if that 35% Cap is the one I think it is....you beat me to it! and thank you very much for that!

Share This Page