• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help! So, I have a Moki 2.10...

mattpina

New to GSN!
I'm starting a new thread again, i don"t mean to be a PIA but I'd like to throw a thought out to you guys since you've all been so nice and helpful.

SO I was on the phone with my father today talking about what 60" plane I'm going to buy (It's between the EF Edge or MXS (I'm leaning MXS)) when he brought something up.

I have a Great Planes Patty Wagstaff Extra in his basement that I have completely forgotten about! Well, mostly.

I must have bought that plane about 8 or so years ago. I was still in high school at the time so I could only afford to buy stuff for the plane slowly but after a year it had everything but the servos and an exhaust for the motor. Then, my basement caught on fire. The plane wasn't too badly damaged (Only some seemingly cosmetic damage to the rudder and horizontal stab) and all the accessories I bought for the plane are still neatly bundled together in the box the plane came in. Then there's the motor. It's a Moki 2.10 and it has never been started. It's been hidden under the cowling with a plastic bag sealed around it for 7ish years now, untouched.

My Dad had a cool idea, why don't I just buy a new airplane that I could put the Moki into? I laughed, it's been so long since I've even thought about that motor. I have no idea what I could fly with that thing.

So I've been surfing the internet reading as much on the Moki 2.10 motor as I can tonight and here's what I discovered. People seem to respond positively to that motor. I even found a couple threads with people using that motor with the Patty Wagstaff GP extra I have (I don't remember if you could buy the motor bundled with the plane but I do remember it being slightly larger then the recommended motor size) And the motor is kinda tough to get stuff for as it's not all that popular of a motor here in the states. I'm guessing because at that size there's no real reason not to get a gasser. And lastly, that motor is comparable to a 30cc gas motor so 70-80" airplanes are a good fit for it. (I'm guessing here. I think the Moki 2.10 is a ~35cc but I don't know if they are comparable to ~30cc gas motors in terms of power and torque)

So, I started looking around for planes I could put this motor into and the EF 78" Extra and 3DHS 74" Edge seem to be a perfect fit!! I LOVE that silver edge!!! And guess what, for 450$ I would have a 74-78" airplane with a motor (The Moki I already have). Thats the same as getting their 64" MXS with their motor and esc combo. (Thats 430$ I think? + or - 20$?)

I understand there's probably a lot more $ in electronics in this size of plane and I'll also admit that I've never looked into getting a giant scale (is 78" considered to be giant scale?) airplane but I've had a 55" 3d plane before that I sold and my father and I have a 72" trainer (a pt40... was that a 72" or a 78"? one peice wing. Maybe it was in the 60"s? I don't quite remember) so I've had medium size planes before and we can transport them.

But then again, do I even want to use this motor for some hard core 3d? Is this even a good idea?

So I figure I have 3 options.

1, get a 60" plane
To get a 60" electric plane flying it's going to cost me ~800$ All I already have for a plane like that is a receiver and a lipo batt charger. I would need the plane, motor, esc, servos and batts. Maybe I can sell the GP extra and Moki motor and make some of that cost back.

2, Buy a new air frame to put the Moki and all the accessories I bought for the extra into it.
This would cost me about ~800 (Maybe?) in the end but I would have a bigger plane... Again, sell the GP extra and make some of that $ back.

3, Build and fly the extra.
I think it would only cost me about ~250$ to get the extra in the air... Maybe? I would need to fix what's wrong with it, (I figure that would cost me <50$, there's really not much damage at all), servos and an exhaust for the Moki. Then a bunch of hours building the sucker! hah.

No matter what I end up doing I wont be flying the plane until spring anyway so time is not of concern.

I want to do hard core 3d stuff with this plane so I figure the GP extra wouldnt be a good fit for me but it would be nice to fly that thing at least once after all these years. Worst comes to worst I can strip that plane naked and sell the shell to someone and buy a new airframe.

I don't know what to do guys!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wedoitall

sayin that, if you haven't really flown much 3d or haven't flow 3d in a long time. you may also wanna look at getting a 3dhs epp or Twisted Hobbys epp plane as a "trainer" for the balsa plane. I don't know what your 3d experience is

gyro

GSN Contributor
Matt, do you have an emotional attachment to the moki motor or the gp airframe? It sounds like you might, but I can't tell for sure.

mattpina

New to GSN!
I already have a Crack Pitts and a Crack Edge. I fly the Pitts almost every morning. I've been doing 3d for probably 5ish years now. Back home I have a couple 3d-foamy kits, another crack pitts, some balsa 3d planes from ~45-55." I'm really comfortable with 3d flying.

I wouldnt say money isn't an issue. I would like to have the best possible set up for the least amount of money possible.

Gyro, I dont have any attachment to the extra. I really dont much care for it.

I do though have some attachment to that motor. I always thought that thing was so cool.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I already have a Crack Pitts and a Crack Edge. I fly the Pitts almost every morning. I've been doing 3d for probably 5ish years now. Back home I have a couple 3d-foamy kits, another crack pitts, some balsa 3d planes from ~45-55." I'm really comfortable with 3d flying.

I wouldnt say money isn't an issue. I would like to have the best possible set up for the least amount of money possible.

Gyro, I dont have any attachment to the extra. I really dont much care for it.

I do though have some attachment to that motor. I always thought that thing was so cool.

I looked at the specs, and it does look similar in power output and weight to a 30/35cc engine. I think you should look at a modern 3D oriented ARF sized for 30cc gas, and try the Moki on it. If it doesn't work for you the way you'd like, you should be able to sell it or trade it for a 30cc gas engine.

hosam

70cc twin V2
Hi Matt, my experience of the Moki 2.10 goes back 10 plus years ago. My first giant scale was an 80” World Models (WM) Patty Wagstaff (PW) with a Moki 2.10. WM PW was an un-popular version of the Great Planes (GP) PW (at one point I had 4 PW, 2 from WM and 2 from GP, crazy)… Back then that size plane was a 50cc size plane. The Moki pulled the plane around great but loved to drink nitro. A 10 minute flight used 30-32 oz of nitro, which meant a days’ worth of flying was 1 or more gallon of fuel. Also, since the Moki is made in Europe (Czech Republic I believe), it needed to use either 0% (aka FAI fuel) or 5% nitro. After 3-4 years of flying the WM PW, I bought a DA50 and put it in a GP PW and flew the snot out of it and never touched the Moki until I sold it. The DA had more grunt and sipped the gas, unlike the guzzle of the Moki.

Back to the subject at hand… the Moki will fly a plane that has up to 80” wing span with no problem, but with today’s gassers (or electric power) I would consider one of the many choices over the Moki. The Moki takes a long time to break in, which makes it somewhat temperamental until that time is reached. A Moki requires a very wet carburetor to start it or it will pain you if that rule is not followed; otherwise you will need a high torque starter (~$100). You will need a Cline regulator (or a Perry pump) or you will have trouble getting fuel to the carb. The expense of nitro fuel may out weight the price of pump gas and in the long run you will save more money using gas. As for parts, you can look for Mark motors; they are Moki motors re-badged or shop the European market. In the years I had my Moki, I never had an issue with part failure, the motor was indestructible.

Please note I am not trying to deter you from using the Moki as I think it is a fabulous nitro motor. If nitro was the only choice I had, I would want a Moki when it came to that size motor. However, given my experience and note that the final decision is all yours, today we have way more options than just 5-6 years ago for power to fly our model airplanes…

Good luck
Hosam

mattpina

New to GSN!
I think that's what I'm goin to do Gyro. I guess the next question is what to get? Is 88" too big for this motor? I'm thinking the EF 78" edge would be perfect. Sadly though this plane is currently sold out. Is there something comparable? The 3dhs silver edge is beautiful to me. Is that frame any good?

Thanks for the info hosam! I'm hearing a lot of good things about this motor for it being a nitro. I would like a gasser in the future but this motor seems good enough for free and I think I'd rather use it over spending a couple hundred $ just for a new motor. Maybe I'll grab a new power plant next summer.

I think at this point my plan is to build the PW GP extra with the Moki in it. I think anything I buy from this point out for the extra I'm buying with the intention of putting it in the EF extra in the future. Idk, sound like a plan?

Thanks again for all the help guys!!

Hoverin

30cc
A Moki 210 never started...Drooool. :veryshocked:.. And a GP Patty... double droool..

Righto, Hey Matt, I have a GP Patty Wagstaff with a Moki 210 in it seen here...
http://www.arcplane.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=2975
Post #50 has the latest flight video....

I love this plane AND motor. It's funny at the field watching all the nitro guys messing with the needle and fiddle farting around. I can't even get to my needle and don't need to, once these babies are set, forget about it. I'm sure you've seen the backflip start video's, well I can't quite do that, but one flick and it's going. Reliable as.

This is my first nitro as I was a lekky only flyer and glad it was the Moki. Go with 80/20 mix, castor only and leave the nitro for the tuner guys, the Moki wasn't designed for nitro and only guzzles if you use it with no power gains.

I messed with the Patty a bit to lose some weight and have the elevator servos out now and joining the halves and going with one servo.. I did all the CF stuff from Graph-Tech and managed to lose quite a bit of weight from the original builders weight, which was ridiculous at 18lb. After the current servo mod I hope to be at 15lb...

Regards Darren