• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting a new DLE-61

Smitty

50cc
Hey guys, I was going to crank up the engine on the Sukhoi yesterday, filled the tank up- choked the engine but when I propped it over I never got it to draw gas in the line to the carb. I tried to blow through the vent line to push gas to the carb. But gas never went into the line to the carb. Not sure what the deal is, but shouldn't gas flow to the carb if you blow in the vent line to pressurize the tank, or do I need to open the throttle to let the fuel go through the line.---Smitty

Sometimes you have to wet the valves/membrane on the carb to get the fuel flowing. Two sides on the carb, shiny side with 4 screws holding the plate and the opposite side which is the Grey mat finish with a single screw in the middle holding the back plate. Take that side off, carefully, and take fuel and wet the membrane. That should start the fuel flowing when you flip.

Smitty

50cc
Ok, thanks. I have never had that problem before, I have 3 other gas engines and they suckered the gas right off the bat. I will give it a try. ---Smitty

Smitty

50cc
Ok I need to do something different. I put a Pitts style muffler on and it is impossible to get to that screw with a screwdriver with a big blade to loosen the screw. What about injecting gas into the carb and trying to start the engine, shouldn't that be good enough to wet that diaphragm.---Smitty

emtp275

100cc
I have had to do what @combat chicken stated on several motors, never my 61 but after my 111 sat for a while prior to me buying it I did and I have done it to a few EME's. You can try a shot of gas directly into the carb if that doesn't work it's worth the time to pull the pits and all you have to do is break the seal and blow in the vent line or get a small amount of fuel in the opening no need to remove the plate. Id almost bet my next pay check that gets you going and you never have to mess with it again unless maybe it sits a long time.

I have had to do what @combat chicken stated on several motors, never my 61 but after my 111 sat for a while prior to me buying it I did and I have done it to a few EME's. You can try a shot of gas directly into the carb if that doesn't work it's worth the time to pull the pits and all you have to do is break the seal and blow in the vent line or get a small amount of fuel in the opening no need to remove the plate. Id almost bet my next pay check that gets you going and you never have to mess with it again unless maybe it sits a long time.
Man I must hit the:steamer: lottery on every engine I've owned in that the DLE30, SPE43, and DL50, I just put on my Ultimate, I have had to wet the valves.:( Positive side on all 3 of those engines is that they have run good since!:)

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Make sure you are full throttle with choke closed to try to draw fuel. I did not see you highlight that part. Also flip it like you mean it (with your skirt off as they say). Lastly, ensure that your choke is indeed fully closed.

I've probably had 50 or more new engines only a few 30-20cc engines that didn't have the ca-hones to draw fuel.

Smitty

50cc
I started the engine yesterday after find a screwdriver that would let me get to that big screw, gas came flying up the line to the carb. I put the choke on and after about 7 flips she popped. Choke off and 3 flips she was running like a champ. I ran it for I guess 10 minutes, never had to touch the adjustment screws. I killed the engine waited for 5 or so minutes. Rocked the prop with throttle wide open , ignition off, ignition on and 3 flips and she fired right up. Engine sounds very strong, throttle response was very good. Think I am going to like this 61.---Smitty