• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

** The 3DRCForums 38! **

gyro

GSN Contributor
We're absolutely thrilled to announce the 1st Annual "3DRCForums 38, 3D Showdown!"

This competition will occur in conjunction with the New Jersey Fly Low In, July 11-14.
(http://www.3drcforums.com/showthrea...11-12-13-14-Washington-New-Jersey-6th-Annual)

This year's event will be an open amateur 3D competition.

[H=1]Requirements/Structure:[/H]

1. Gasoline Aircraft up 38cc - No electric motor restrictions
  2. Wingspans from 50" up to 79" (without racing wingtips) --UPDATE-- Biplanes smaller than 50" accepted with minimum of 500 sq/in wing area!
  3. Entrants may not be sponsored by an Aircraft Manufacturer
  4. Flying routines may not exceed 3 minutes
  5. Routines to music are strongly encouraged
  6. No extra points for smoke, streamers, or other props
  7. Judging factors will be based specifically on 3D Freestyle Flying!
  8. Thursday & Friday will be 1 - 1.5 hours of semi-finals
  9. Saturday will be the finals of the top 10 scored pilots from Thursday & Friday.
  10. Judges: Joe Smith, Cody Wojcik, Ben Fisher, and possibly one more to be announced
  11. Entry fee: $20

[H=2]Competitor List:[/H]

Name
ThursdayFriday
Steven McCormack -REGISTERED-

XXX
Brian Strachan -REGISTERED-

XXX
Zmonster -REGISTERED-
XXX
Jwmav528 -REGISTERED-
XXX
Jamesrini -REGISTERED-XXX
Brandon Chitty -REGISTERED-
XXX
Crashesalot -REGISTERED-
XXX
Dskuro95 -REGISTERED-XXX
RCGirl -REGISTERED-
XXX
Michael Leonard, JR -REGISTERED-
XXX
TylerS -REGISTERED-XXX
Jaypilot -REGISTERED-XXX
DJMoose -REGISTERED-
XXX
ANDYjuice22 -REGISTERED-
XXX

[H=1]Prizes![/H]

1. 3DHS 30CC sized ARF + 1st Place Trophy
  2. $100 + Castle Ice 120HV
  3. $75 + Caslte BEC Pro
  4. $50 + Castle BEC Pro
  5. $25 + Caslte Link Adapter

This Prize list is current as of 2/25/13. Any further changes will be additions to the above.

[H=1]Judging Criteria[/H]

Requirements and mechanical zeroes:

• Flight must be 3:00 minutes +/- 15 seconds. Scores for flights that end before 2:45 are pro-rated for recorded flight duration. So, if a flight ends (by landing, crash, or pilot declaration) at 2:00, the pilot will be given 73% of his or her score from the judges as he or she has only flown for 73% of the required time.
• The flight ends when time ends or the aircraft is stationary on the ground for more than 12 seconds
• The flight is zeroed if the plane enters the pits or crosses directly over the judge’s heads
• If the judges or CD feel that safety for spectators or organizers is compromised, they may zero a flight at their discretion. A decision to do so must be unanimous.
• No aircraft stabilization gyros may be used. Specifically, controls surfaces should only move when that movement is deliberately initiated by the pilot using the transmitter.

Judging Criteria:

• Technical Merit – 20%
o All maneuvers are executed deliberately…the intended maneuver and flight path should be readily apparent to the judges and spectators.
o Maneuvers are executed and presented precisely and cleanly.
o Examples: A harrier maintains a constant altitude and heading. 4 point rolls are placed accurately at 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees. Rolling loops are round and consistent.

• Level of difficulty – 15%
o Higher scores are awarded to pilots who demonstrate maneuvers of a high difficulty level which are complex, fast paced, or both.
o Examples: rifle rolls, rolling circles, fractional snap rolls, rolling harriers, and point rolls will score higher than repeated use of banked turns, loops, blenders, and knife-edge circles.

• Choreography and Rhythm – 30%
o The pace and feeling of the flight fits the music well. Rhythmic maneuvers (point rolls, snap rolls, sharp pitch changes, etc) are done in time with the beat in the music. Hard gyrations and dramatic maneuvers (walls, blenders, pop-tops) are done to sudden changes or breaks in the music.
o A variety of maneuvers are performed to avoid repetition
o Above all, the performance is enjoyable to watch and holds the viewer’s attention

• Presentation – 15%
o Maneuvers are placed and timed to maximize their visibility and appearance. Slow-paced 3D maneuvers are performed low and close. Large maneuvers such as slow rolling loops are performed farther out to better present the geometry of the figure.

• Excitement, malicious treatment of equipment, and feats of daring – 20%
o Low, hard, and exciting flying will score higher than high, slow, and boring flying!

Score calculation:

All four judges will score each pilot, in each category, from 0 to 10, in half-point increments (ie 0, .5, 1.0, 1.5…10) (thus each judge will produce 5 scores for each pilot). The resulting scores will be multiplied by the weighting above to produce a score out of ten to four significant figures, and then multiplied by 1,000,000 to produce a more impressive number which will be used to rank the pilots.

Last edited by a moderator:

-DJO

70cc twin V2
Awesome!!!!! I'm glad this idea finally got approved!

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
that is great news!! To bad it is 6hr away. Who knows maybe I will be able to figure something out.

-DJO

70cc twin V2
3 hours away for me... I won't be making it. But I'm sure it will be lots of fun for those that do!

McCormack.. I didn't know you were on here! Cool!

:)

Dan

wedoitall

Holy Cow! that was fast! once again you guys pull through by giving the people what they want.

now i just gotta figure out how to make it up there. already had planned on at least 5 shows this summer.

njswede

150cc
Re: ** The 3DRCForums 38! ** In conjunction with the NJ FLI, July 11-14th

Gary, you're a force of nature! You call me as I step on to a flight and tell me this is an idea you're tossing around. When I land a couple of hours later it's all done. It's a good thing you're not using your powers for evil! :)