• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The FAA just "went there" NOT GOOD. ALL RC Aircraft = REAL AIRCRAFT

SleepyC

150cc
Yo guys anyone see this?

http://www.ntsb.gov/legal/pirker/5730.pdf

Today the FAA ruled that "any device to be used for flight" is regulated under the current FARs. Including part 91 commercial operations. What they did was to redifine what drones, model planes, helicopters, and multirotors, free flight models, balloons, teathered balloons, or any other “device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.” as strait up aircraft.

This is not good.

Another article about it here:
http://gizmodo.com/dumbass-appeals-court-rules-faa-can-outlaw-all-u-s-dro-1660086902

Thoughts?!?!

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
That sucks. I saw a piece on one of the morning news shows about people flying quads over college football games and how "dangerous" that was.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Here is a perfect example of why drones are deemed dangerous and bad. Lots of misinformation out there.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1599900/stadium-drones-are-fans-in-danger-video/

"Amateurs can quickly lose control of the aircraft, which could easily result in injuries. A perfect example of this would be the tragic incident in which a 19-year-old male was flying a drone helicopter at a city park in Brooklyn when he lost control. He was killed when the drone helicopter sliced off the top of his head, as reported by the Washington Post.
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1599900/stadium-drones-are-fans-in-danger-video/#ofXm5RSYWeACxdwR.99"

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
The NY "drone" accident was a full blown 3D helicoptor flown by an experienced RC pilot who made a mistake by pushing the limmit. the Pilot was killed no one else was injured and this was at least a year ago.

Last edited:

toysforbigboys

70cc twin V2
ya this is not good at all... 99.9% of us fly our remote controlled aircraft safely, but a few out there ruin it for us all..

Do I agree that the "toys" that we play with are aircraft yes I do. Do I believe that our aircraft can hurt people yes I do. But I do not believe that every one that is flying should be subject to a 10000 dollar fine. Like I said most of us out there fly safely.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
The NY "drone" accident was a full blown 3D helicoptor flown by an experienced RC pilot who made a mistake by pushing the limmit. the Pilot was killee, no one else was injured and this was at least a year ago.
I know. That is what makes me mad is they use a helicopter accident and say it was a drone to drum up fear.

toysforbigboys

70cc twin V2
I know. That is what makes me mad is they use a helicopter accident and say it was a drone to drum up fear.

Ya but the FAA did nothing about the NY accident, this was over a blimp that was video taping a college and the pilot was flying unsafe and did bring another person into harms way. If you watch the video the pilot did almost hit someone and crashed right after wards..

While the accident in NY was tragic he did not bring others into harms way...He knew the risk flying that close to himself.

The guy in Virginia should be fine, but this should not cause us all punishiment

Fortunately the AMA has been fighting this battle and will continue to protect our hobby. This debate is funded by our dues, regardless of the individual pilots affiliation with AMA. Those who do not belong are doing a disservice to all participants of our hobby because this battle to protect our interests is expensive.

toysforbigboys

70cc twin V2
Fortunately the AMA has been fighting this battle and will continue to protect our hobby. This debate is funded by our dues, regardless of the individual pilots affiliation with AMA. Those who do not belong are doing a disservice to all participants of our hobby because this battle to protect our interests is expensive.

Agreed

SleepyC

150cc

I spoke with Bob Brown two weeks ago, he had just returned form Washington and he shook his head and said the FAA was basically turning their back on all the work the AMA had done with them. The FAA could really care less about the AMA turns out.