• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Hardest Thing To Figure Out

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Well I am on the hunt for a new radio. I currently have an Airtronics RDS 8000 and really like it. But I want to upgrade to something with a few more features.

There is so much info out there and just when you think you may have decided on something, someone comes along and shoots a hole in that idea. I would get the SD-10G but sadly, that radio is just ugly. I know, it is what is inside that counts, but it is hard to look at that radio and say "that is a good looking radio."

I was thinking about the Hitec Aurora 9. Good looking radio and it has telemetry. That is cool! But then I heard it serious latency problems. So now I don't know what to do.

Settle for ugly or settle for latency?

Anyone have any suggestions for 4 bills or less?

Thanks,

Frank

gyro

GSN Contributor
I've been really happy with my Spektrum DX8. I've been using it for nearly a year now, and love the telemetry feature. 6 of my 7 electric planes have the telemetry module in them so I can keep tabs on the motor temps and the battery voltages. I've never hit LVC since...
Also, great choices available when it comes to Rx, seems they have one for every possible setup/situation.

-G

djmoose

70cc twin V2
The A9's latency isn't really an ISSUE persay...it's just higher then other radios in it's class.

Are you flying 3D and high precision and trying to improve your skills...or are you just a sport flyer?

I have an A9 for my sport stuff that hasn't had a single problem in 3 seasons of flying. I don't notice the latency.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I see pros and cons for all the radios I have been looking at. To be honest, what made me start thinking about the A9 was when I stumbled across this when I was buying servos for my 3D profile plane. http://www.servocity.com/html/aurora_9_systems.html $289 is a heck of a price.

Thanks again and I really think this is the hardest decision one makes in our sport is what radio to buy. I thought that 3 years ago that the RDS8000 was the last radio I was going to buy.

Oh and to answer your question, I am sport flyer and a slope flyer. I don't have the time to devote to this hobby to give what it takes to compete.

Frank

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Frank, to be totally honest with you...you're not going to go wrong with any of the three. Here are my thoughts across the board:

A9 - AWESOME radio and I love mine. Rock solid and generally not too pricey. Feels great, Easiest programming. Slightly high latency that will only hinder you if you're REALLY trying to improve your skills at a high level.

8FG - AWESOME radio but it's a little more pricey. Really low latency and programming is pretty easy. (I have one for my 3D / high performance stuff)

DX8/DX7S - Great radios and will allow you to fly PNP and BNF stuff including micros. Generally the cheapest of all the solutions and will allow you to fly the most popular ultra-micros out now.

From what you've said about yourself...if I were you, I'd get a Dx7 or Dx8. (and I'm saying that owning one of each radio...granted my spektrum is an old skool dx7)

If you were a SERIOUS sport flyer, really look at the A9. If you wanted to devote a lot of time and become the best 3D/performance pilot you could be....look at the 8FG. (also look at the last two only if you're prepared to not easily fly any of the popular Spektrum-related PNP and BNF stuff)

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I see pros and cons for all the radios I have been looking at. To be honest, what made me start thinking about the A9 was when I stumbled across this when I was buying servos for my 3D profile plane. http://www.servocity.com/html/aurora_9_systems.html $289 is a heck of a price.

Thanks again and I really think this is the hardest decision one makes in our sport is what radio to buy. I thought that 3 years ago that the RDS8000 was the last radio I was going to buy.

Oh and to answer your question, I am sport flyer and a slope flyer. I don't have the time to devote to this hobby to give what it takes to compete.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

Manta

70cc twin V2
I love my A9. And Latency is not really an "issue" per say. I do fly 3d and sport and play with precision a little. I bought an xps module and put their nano rx's in every plane I own and now have less latency than spectrum and futaba lol. According to xps anyhow. I cld tell a difference when testing the hitec system and then the xps module back to back. Is it enough to really matter? I doubt it. I like 29 dollar rx's tho in all my planes. Even my 50cc and not a glitch in 2 seffs since. Lost planes each seff before the switch.
I do like the dx7 for bnf. I have a dx6I. Futaba is awesome but I cant afford right now is why I went hitec. Bang for buck. :)
Either way i think you will be happy with either of the big 3.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Thanks again for the feedback. I build all my own planes so the BNF planes are not an issue for me. I hope whoever came up with that idea owns the company now because he deserved it. Stroke of genius.

I really like this comment:

"A9 - AWESOME radio and I love mine. Rock solid and generally not too pricey. Feels great, Easiest programming. Slightly high latency that will only hinder you if you're REALLY trying to improve your skills at a high level."

My goal is just to be a good pilot. I don't have enough time left to be a great one. And talking with a fellow sloper today about the SD-10G, he did remind me how expensive receievers are.

Frank

gyro

GSN Contributor
Thanks again for the feedback. I build all my own planes so the BNF planes are not an issue for me. I hope whoever came up with that idea owns the company now because he deserved it. Stroke of genius.

I really like this comment:

"A9 - AWESOME radio and I love mine. Rock solid and generally not too pricey. Feels great, Easiest programming. Slightly high latency that will only hinder you if you're REALLY trying to improve your skills at a high level."

My goal is just to be a good pilot. I don't have enough time left to be a great one. And talking with a fellow sloper today about the SD-10G, he did remind me how expensive receievers are.

Frank

Since as discussed above, it seems that all the radios "would" work for you, maybe the cost of the receivers can help you decide...?

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
That's an excellent point Gary. At one time I built a nice little spreadsheet (I know that's the geek in me) with all 2.4G Rx from 5 channel and up. I think at that time Hitec was a little cheaper than Spektrum. Not sure who rates the best now though. Perhaps when I get the chance I'll make another one and post it here.

Frank