• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m Going/Went Flying Thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
At that size I see you have DA35 in it would ever go electric in that plane.

I wouldn't go electric. I love the flight times of gas. My 75" edge was electric, I vaporized a bullet connector, and the flight times were 4min... Just too much hassle to charge and invest in LiPos. So it's switching to gas as well. I use a lot of throttle :)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I wouldn't go electric. I love the flight times of gas. My 75" edge was electric, I vaporized a bullet connector, and the flight times were 4min... Just too much hassle to charge and invest in LiPos. So it's switching to gas as well. I use a lot of throttle :)
Thanks for that I needed that info you made up my mind for me. Will be gas for me.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for that I needed that info you made up my mind for me. Will be gas for me.
Some people love electric in this size though! But once that engine is tuned, five back to back 14min flights is great. If you were to do that with electrons.... lets see 2 6S in series 3300-4000mah and $100USD each x five.... is $1000USD... so if that is the cost to fly and the total cost a year is about five gallons of gas with oil $50...at most times the life of the batteries is about five years of hard use maybe $250.... I think it's more cost effective for gasoline if a guy isn't scared of tuning, or doesn't have noise restrictions.
Electric gives you that "right now" power, no need to tune, possibly a little lighter given the power setup, It's all personal preference. Some people don't want to fly a gas engine under 50cc. Dunno!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Some people love electric in this size though! But once that engine is tuned, five back to back 14min flights is great. If you were to do that with electrons.... lets see 2 6S in series 3300-4000mah and $100USD each x five.... is $1000USD... so if that is the cost to fly and the total cost a year is about five gallons of gas with oil $50...at most times the life of the batteries is about five years of hard use maybe $250.... I think it's more cost effective for gasoline if a guy isn't scared of tuning, or doesn't have noise restrictions.
Electric gives you that "right now" power, no need to tune, possibly a little lighter given the power setup, It's all personal preference. Some people don't want to fly a gas engine under 50cc. Dunno!
Thanks again @AKNick for that and believe me I am an engine guy. Just everyone around me is going Electric, and I am even still flying glow just love the performance that a 20 % nitro engine puts out. And noise is not a problem at the field I am at.