• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The Spammers are getting out of hand.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
@Bartman @SleepyC

At one time this morning I counted 11 spam post out of 15 post on page one of the New Post section.

Maybe it's time we implement a question and answer type spam filter? Whatever we are using now sure isn't working.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
image.jpg

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
just deleted 12 spammers, a new record for one morning! we're cranking it up on every level!

ok, not funny.....................moving right along, it used to be that spammers set up an account and then went about spamming the crap out of everyone and once the IP or email addresses were reported to the database they could be blocked. nowadays spammers will grab a new IP address, make a new email address, and then post one spammy post before grabbing a new IP, another new email, and then posting another spammy post. we seldom see more than one or two spammy posts from each email address or IP address so it's harder for the software to identify spammers and they slip through.

if we try to tighten up the spam software to catch more spammers then we also end up blocking more real people who don't appreciate being denied their GiantScaleNews.com fix! Can you blame them??

So we're aware of the problem and I'll reach out to the developers today to see what they suggest. Thanks for the help identifying spammers, it's a daily chore to come in here and delete them, it sucks for us but thanks for rolling with it.

bart

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
if we try to tighten up the spam software to catch more spammers then we also end up blocking more real people who don't appreciate being denied their GiantScaleNews.com fix! Can you blame them??

bart

I don't think that will be the case. It's not blocking real people, it's just one extra step in the new account creation process to keep out spam and hackers. With all of the private information being hacked these days I think new members might feel it more secure.