• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Defrosting my beer fridge today.

20240303_142652.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Been a while! Life is sure busy with a 1.5 & 4.5 year old kids!

IMG_3246.jpeg

Lots happening. Building a power tool bench to get the “hurt you fast if daddy forgets to unplug it stuff” I just finished a third coat of Shellac. Then some gray paint, followed by wheels.

My 104NG is getting there. Need to program the wing servos next for matching.

I made the plunge and bought an enclosed XTool 40W diode laser. Quite a spendy little booger, but this was for me the best option safety wise for getting started with minions in the house along with a few other things. Hoping to design a small rc plane and then grow from there. Hard to beat a CO2 laser, but yikes those are expensive.

Some things I’ve downloaded and cut after playing with soooo many settings.
IMG_3210.jpeg
IMG_3223.jpegIMG_3226.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Been a while! Life is sure busy with a 1.5 & 4.5 year old kids!

View attachment 122396

Lots happening. Building a power tool bench to get the “hurt you fast if daddy forgets to unplug it stuff” I just finished a third coat of Shellac. Then some gray paint, followed by wheels.

My 104NG is getting there. Need to program the wing servos next for matching.

I made the plunge and bought an enclosed XTool 40W diode laser. Quite a spendy little booger, but this was for me the best option safety wise for getting started with minions in the house along with a few other things. Hoping to design a small rc plane and then grow from there. Hard to beat a CO2 laser, but yikes those are expensive.

Some things I’ve downloaded and cut after playing with soooo many settings.
View attachment 122397
View attachment 122398View attachment 122399
Can it cut light plywood 3 mm thick, more info.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Can it cut light plywood 3 mm thick, more info.

All day long with one pass using a 40W module 85% power @16mm/s. This one can fit a 20”x24” sheet inside it… but usable is about 10x19. I’ve cut basswood ply and birch ply 3mm. Theres videos of guys cutting a 2x4 with it……
Last few years diode lasers have become very powerful. Now it’s all about leaning focus/power/speed/passes for the best result.

The company I got the XTool S1 40W from is based out of Canada, Modern Electronica. They were the only ones willing to ship And enclosed laser to Alaska. I really wanted the P2 but decided to start with the S1 and if I really get into it, I’ll get an industrial CO2 for about the same price. A diode laser has material limitations due to its wavelength… with that said you can get a 2W IR laser module for this which is basically a fiber laser. Kinda cool. There I go… talking about another hobby within a hobby. Geeking out a bit ha ha ha

TonyHallo

150cc
This post is what the Postman didn't bring. I learned last week that Robart is ceasing the retract and landing gear operation. I'm surprised to see only one post about this . I guess no one is building these days?
I sent them and email and ordered 8 torque links and clevis pins for the Robo Struts for the Cherokee. I hope to build a second Cherokee and can make all the other parts for the Robo Struts. I'll a spare set and a new set for the Cherokee plus two to make the gear for the 30% Chipmunk.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have several retract sets for classic pattern planes. My current build and the build after that requires no retracts so not hurting in the near future.