• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Throttle Curves

robj

70cc twin V2
Joe,

How do you go about setting throttle curves on gas and electrics. I guess no curves on the electrics (perhaps negative on an electric).

Just by feel to try to match gas and electrics?

I was flying my e-72 and gas 87 back to back yesterday and really noticed the quicker throttle on the gas. Currently the 87 is on a dx7 with no curve but I will shortly move it to the 9503 which does have a curve.

IS there some starting point you use? I know it is probably based on the linkage setup but I have my 87 about as much linkage expo as I can get at the moment.

thanks,
Rob

Joe,

How do you go about setting throttle curves on gas and electrics. I guess no curves on the electrics (perhaps negative on an electric).

Just by feel to try to match gas and electrics?

I was flying my e-72 and gas 87 back to back yesterday and really noticed the quicker throttle on the gas. Currently the 87 is on a dx7 with no curve but I will shortly move it to the 9503 which does have a curve.

IS there some starting point you use? I know it is probably based on the linkage setup but I have my 87 about as much linkage expo as I can get at the moment.

thanks,
Rob

Hey Rob,

To be completely honest, none of my planes have throttle curves setup. With that said, you have two options , you can either make the gas feel more like an electric setup or vice versa. If you like the feel of the gas, then you need to apply an expo type curve to the electric that causes it to be more sensitive towards idle and less sensitive towards full throttle. This curve will look just opposite of what an expo curve would look like for a control surface.

If you like the feel of the electric better, then just apply a normal expo curve to the gas setup. This will make the gas feel more linear.

This is something that you will just have to tweak until you get the feel you want. Try to keep the curve relatively smooth though.

robj

70cc twin V2
Ok Thanks Joe! I'm going toward the linear electric feel since I have more electric planes and the 87 is real twitchy at the bottom.

Rob

aronph

70cc twin V2
hey rob i was just wondering around the site last nite and saw this whole "ask joe" thread....i dont know how he gets his own friggin thread, who is this joe kid anyway? HA!...im not sure if you are still subscribed to this thread or not but i had the same issue with my gas 89/dx7....so heres the story...wrote a song about it, wanna hear it?, here it go....
as we all know theres no throttle curve on macro on the dx7...bobby (bobby808813) on rcg http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=272809 sent me a diagram of how to *properly* set up a throttle linkage. I have no idea how joe flies with no curve unless he has his linkage set up like the one in the diagram bobby sent me cuz the curve on gas is TERRIBLE if its not set up right. I mean i guess it can be done once you get used to it but in this diagram it makes the throttle curve super smooth and linear just like an electric....if i still had the diagram i would post it somehow but i dont think i do..ill peek around and see if i can find it...you will be amazed what the geometry will do with no curve....

aronph

70cc twin V2
ThrottleGeometry-1 (1).jpgi found it

aronph

70cc twin V2
i followed this as closely as i could and didnt feel the need for a throttle curve after i got it tweeked where i wanted it...trust me...try it

robj

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the info Aron, I had that link sent to me. I was able to get pretty close to that point but when going back to electrics the still felt soft. So I have it in my new radio and got 1 flight with a bit of expo. Then others were using 40% so I matched the 40% to another graph on my radio(I have to manually input the expo, can't just way use 40%). Waiting for the rain to stop around here to fly again.

The pic shows my idle position.

Rob

Attachments

• linkage.jpg
    linkage.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 408

aronph

70cc twin V2
thats close to how mine is but th servo arm is allmost all the way lined up with the servo...if the arm was straiter you wouldnt need th curve maybe?