• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Throttle issues JR XG11

Jan

30cc
Hey guys,

So recently I have purchased a JR XG11 radio and I'm having some throttle issues. I'm using a HiTec HS-5625MG servo for my throttle. Here's the issue I'm having; once i turn on the plane and the radio, the throttle stick maxes out the engine while the stick is only half way through it's motion. What is happening is that i almost have a dead zone and the upper half of the throttle stick is being useless, the throttle is maxed out when the stick is only have way through its potential motion. I do know that there is a way to calibrate this issue, I just do not know how.

The throttle is too fast, rather than utilizing the entire throttle motion, for whatever reason, my radio is only using half. Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone have an idea of how to go about fixing this issue? Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Jan

yakken

100cc
Sounds like your throttle geometry is messed up. I always try to get my throttle to run 140 to 140 on the end points. To get this you have to usually make a throttle arm for the carb or buy one that will work.

ryan_m

100cc
Hey guys,

So recently I have purchased a JR XG11 radio and I'm having some throttle issues. I'm using a HiTec HS-5625MG servo for my throttle. Here's the issue I'm having; once i turn on the plane and the radio, the throttle stick maxes out the engine while the stick is only half way through it's motion. What is happening is that i almost have a dead zone and the upper half of the throttle stick is being useless, the throttle is maxed out when the stick is only have way through its potential motion. I do know that there is a way to calibrate this issue, I just do not know how.

The throttle is too fast, rather than utilizing the entire throttle motion, for whatever reason, my radio is only using half. Has anyone had this issue before? Does anyone have an idea of how to go about fixing this issue? Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Jan
The monitor screen setting is your friend. Look at the throttle channel first, and make sure that at half stick the little indicator for the throttle channel is also at half. Then go to low throttle and make sure it does the same, and then high throttle. It should go down just as far as it goes up (low vs. high settings). It won't go all the way to either end unless you have your endpoints set at 150% on both. Anyways once you have confirmed all that is good, you will know that no mixes or throttle curves are interfering with things.
Like Yakken said, it sounds very much like you have a throttle geometry problem. Take a look at the pic here. It shows a good place to start that tends to lead to a more linear feeling motor. Definitely sounds like you need a shorter arm on the servo (the small blue metal one included with most hitec digitals usually works well) and then set it up like the picture here.

Attachments

• 8669516563_3772c324c6_c.jpg
    8669516563_3772c324c6_c.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 472

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I second that. Find the monitor screen and check there to see what the transmitter is telling the receiver to do. Watch it through the stick travel and make sure its linear.

For the best linearity, you strive to get 100/100. That is a straight line, diagonally from L to H. Once you have your linearity, you fly and see if you need a curve for low power stuff, like 3D.

I am making different pushrods or moving a hole location on the servo horn if it takes less than 90 on L and 110 on H for ATV. You dont want 30% on L and 140% on H. You would be full throttle at 3/4 stick, by at an idle at mid stick. Ive run at 70L and 115H, with no issue. If you are taking the time to set the airplane up, finish doing it right by making sure your throttle is set up right as well.

I get a chuckle everytime someone says they go max ATVs for throttle travel. There is nothing to gain there, and you certainly dont gain linearity. All I could see a gain is in low throttle, in how fast it moves that first 25% stick travel. Perfect if you like rapping the throttle while you fly. I personally find that annoying.

sweetpea

100cc
I always set my throttle up the same every time.

Set throws to 100% each way. put the stick at half throttle. Then move carb butterfly to half open (or closed if you're a pessimist). Then make your link 90 degrees from the arm. This gives you pretty close to 1/1 on throw. Then adjust your endpoints slightly as you look at the travel of the butterfly so you don't over turn the butterfly either way. Then as BFK said....use a throttle curve to fine tune for your flying.

yakken

100cc
For the best linearity, you strive to get 100/100. That is a straight line, diagonally from L to H. Once you have your linearity, you fly and see if you need a curve for low power stuff, like 3D.

I am making different pushrods or moving a hole location on the servo horn if it takes less than 90 on L and 110 on H for ATV. You dont want 30% on L and 140% on H. You would be full throttle at 3/4 stick, by at an idle at mid stick. Ive run at 70L and 115H, with no issue. If you are taking the time to set the airplane up, finish doing it right by making sure your throttle is set up right as well.

I get a chuckle everytime someone says they go max ATVs for throttle travel. There is nothing to gain there, and you certainly dont gain linearity. All I could see a gain is in low throttle, in how fast it moves that first 25% stick travel. Perfect if you like rapping the throttle while you fly. I personally find that annoying.
You wouldnt like flying with me then. I pump it real good.lol